Laundry Detergent dumped???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have just bought a new house.

It looks like the previous owner just recently dumped a box of laundry detergent in the back yard, underneath a nice maple tree.

Will that hurt anything?

thanks

Mike Maas said:
How do you know it detergent? Be careful.

Now I'm not so sure it was. I got down on it and sniffed it carefully. Didn't smell like detergent. Almost smelled a little like ground corn feed for cattle (obscure reference, I know).

Anyway, I called my dad over, and he said he thought it was fertilizer. I scooped up all that I could, trashed it, then flooded the affected area with water.

Hopefully that was OK.

Are you sure it's not fine dust fome tree itself? I've seen this at the
base of pines on my property a few years back.Boring beetles?
(forgot what their called) or some other insect maybe? Just a thought! :confused:

Last edited:
tenacrewoods said:
Are you sure it's not fine dust fome tree itself? I've seen this at the
base of pines on my property a few years back.Boring beetles?
(forgot what their called) or some other insect maybe? Just a thought! :confused:

Good thought, but I don't think so. The pile appeared overnight, and it doesn't look like a natural substance.

Getting rid of it an dflushing the area with water was probably the best bet. I would have been sure to wear a good respirator while cleaning it up, just to be safe...

pbtree said:
I would have been sure to wear a good respirator while cleaning it up, just to be safe...

Ooooops.

So, probably getting down on my hands and knees and sniffing it probably wasn't a good idea either, huh?

Latest posts

Back