Leaking Huskee Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avc8130

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It appears my Huskee splitter is dribbling. I have been trying to track the leak down, and I believe it is coming from the pump. It appears to be leaking at the "suction" hose connection. It doesn't appear to be a loose hose clamp as I tried tightening that and the leak continues. I think it is leaking between the fitting and the pump housing. I pulled the hose off, but the fitting appears to be a press fit? I don't see anyway to tighten the connection.

Any suggestions?

ac

Sounds like you are right on the tube. If it is not under warranty, you can either replace the pump (last option) or try to seal the area around the tube. I would try to seal it first, drain the pump and disconnect the suction hose clean the area around the tube with carburetor cleaner and use an industrial grade epoxy or maybe JB weld to try and seal it. Let it set overnight and try it to see if you still have the problem. Just an idea you know what they are worth.. JG

I had a suction tube on a pump that was leaking also. It was lose enough that by pulling on the attached hose it finally came out. I then found a socket just the right size to force into the tube to expand it slightly. To get it back into the pump I put a slight chamfer on the and put it in a freezer to shrink it. After about an hour of freezing I was able to force it into the pump. It has held for 2 years now.

I had a suction tube on a pump that was leaking also. It was lose enough that by pulling on the attached hose it finally came out. I then found a socket just the right size to force into the tube to expand it slightly. To get it back into the pump I put a slight chamfer on the and put it in a freezer to shrink it. After about an hour of freezing I was able to force it into the pump. It has held for 2 years now.

I'll have to check how loose the fitting is tonight. The repair looks easy enough. The worst part is going to be pulling the pump and dealing with the hydraulic fluid. I am sure I also need to get the pump/fitting CLEAN.

ac

It appears my Huskee splitter is dribbling. I have been trying to track the leak down, and I believe it is coming from the pump. It appears to be leaking at the "suction" hose connection. It doesn't appear to be a loose hose clamp as I tried tightening that and the leak continues. I think it is leaking between the fitting and the pump housing. I pulled the hose off, but the fitting appears to be a press fit? I don't see anyway to tighten the connection.

Any suggestions?

ac

Get on the horn and CALL Speeco.
In warranty or not, give them a buzz.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Get on the horn and CALL Speeco.
In warranty or not, give them a buzz.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I tried EMAIL. Got a "if you bought it in the last year, drop it off at this place 100 miles from your house and they will fix it when they get around to it and then you can pick it back up later, if you bought it more than a year ago...you need to buy a new pump".

Think calling would be better?

ac

I tried EMAIL. Got a "if you bought it in the last year, drop it off at this place 100 miles from your house and they will fix it when they get around to it and then you can pick it back up later, if you bought it more than a year ago...you need to buy a new pump".

ac

Calling is always better. You just got a canned response. Talking to a real person will get better results.

ac

Absolutely.

If it's past warranty and if nothing else, they can help you with troubleshooting and parts numbers.

Usually one of the Speeco crew hangs around here and jumps right in.

Holler on thier 800 number and speak to a real human bieng.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Absolutely.

If it's past warranty and if nothing else, they can help you with troubleshooting and parts numbers.

Usually one of the Speeco crew hangs around here and jumps right in.

Holler on thier 800 number and speak to a real human bieng.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

What a GREAT company. Spoke to a rep on the phone. I will be dropping the splitter off this week for warranty repair!

ac

What a GREAT company. Spoke to a rep on the phone. I will be dropping the splitter off this week for warranty repair!

ac

Yeah,

It's kinda motivating dealing with folks like Speeco. Folks that actually know what they are doing answer the phone, and actually take care of the customer. When I had a pump fail, I was ready for the call center in Mumbasa and talking to "Peggy" but instead got Carol who floored me by bieng what every customer service Rep should be. I'm sold.

I hope the warranty repair shop goes as well for ya!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah,

It's kinda motivating dealing with folks like Speeco. Folks that actually know what they are doing answer the phone, and actually take care of the customer. When I had a pump fail, I was ready for the call center in Mumbasa and talking to "Peggy" but instead got Carol who floored me by bieng what every customer service Rep should be. I'm sold.

I hope the warranty repair shop goes as well for ya!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Eric is setting is all up. He is "paving the road". He told me if the shop wasn't responsive to him he wouldn't bother letting me deal with them and would just move to the next shop. If no shop met his standards of responsiveness, he would send the parts as a last resort. So far I am 100% satisfied.

My only concern is he knew EXACTLY what I was talking about when I said I had a leak at the pressed fitting. Apparently this might be a bit too "common". I'll keep ya posted.

ac

I'm sure they'll fix you up. On a side not don't use carb clean only because it has lubricant in it and if your trying to epoxy something it wont stick well. Break clean leaves no residue and is a better choice when trying to glue something.

I'm sure they'll fix you up. On a side not don't use carb clean only because it has lubricant in it and if your trying to epoxy something it wont stick well. Break clean leaves no residue and is a better choice when trying to glue something.

I plan on asking the shop if I can keep the old pump. I might try to see what I can do to repair it permanently in case the warranty replacement fails.

1st thing that comes to mind would be tapping it for a pipe thread fitting or a flareless o-ring fitting.

ac

Eric is setting is all up. He is "paving the road". He told me if the shop wasn't responsive to him he wouldn't bother letting me deal with them and would just move to the next shop. If no shop met his standards of responsiveness, he would send the parts as a last resort. So far I am 100% satisfied.

My only concern is he knew EXACTLY what I was talking about when I said I had a leak at the pressed fitting. Apparently this might be a bit too "common". I'll keep ya posted.

ac

It might be a "known problem", like any other company that makes anything with moving parts problems crop up once in awhile. But unlike many other companies, Speeco actually takes care of their customers, even going as far as to help a guy out even after the "warranty" expires. And that right there was enough for me when I bought my 35 ton model from them.

Back