Leaner Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a leaner in the backyard over my fence and leaning on my neighbor's tree. It's not all that big (about 10" DBH) but I estimate it to be approximately 60 feet tall. It's totally dead as there were no leaves on it before the wind from the storms blew it over at the base. Is it easy/safe enough for my neighbor and I to pull it down?

View attachment 244746View attachment 244747View attachment 244748View attachment 244749View attachment 244750

And by pull it down, I'm thinking of using rope/chain to attach to the lower 2 feet and pull back into my backyard as the tree appears to be completely broken off since I can rotate the tree a little by just kicking it.

Last edited:
Last picture

View attachment 244751

Additionally, my insurance company said that it wouldn't be covered unless it actually damaged property. Deductible is $5,000 for this kind of situation which seems a little high given that it would only possibly fall on the neighbor's shed (barring personal injury).

I got an estimate from a local tree removal service and it was $1,000 (each) to remove three trees (half dead and big enough to fall on either of our houses) that didn't require any special equipment. My neighbor and I ended up taking the three trees down with using nothing but rope to ensure they fell in between the houses.

Last edited:
$1000 for trees that size?:msp_confused:

I would remove the fence, cut it and pull it away. If there is nothing under the tree not much can go wrong.

Is it easy/safe enough for my neighbor and I to pull it down?

And by pull it down, I'm thinking of using rope/chain to attach to the lower 2 feet and pull back into my backyard as the tree appears to be completely broken off since I can rotate the tree a little by just kicking it.

If you are thinking about doing what I think you are, yes, that can be a little dangerous unless you can completely pull that tree back without making any cuts. Otherwise, cutting below that break could cause a severe reaction.

I got an estimate from a local tree removal service and it was $1,000 (each) to remove three trees (half dead and big enough to fall on either of our houses) that didn't require any special equipment. My neighbor and I ended up taking the three trees down with using nothing but rope to ensure they fell in between the houses.

I am going to start a tree service in Dover and offer $900 removals for those trees. If those three trees were 50-60 feet tall, guys up here would be getting less than a $1000 total.

If you are thinking about doing what I think you are, yes, that can be a little dangerous unless you can completely pull that tree back without making any cuts. Otherwise, cutting below that break could cause a severe reaction.

I am going to start a tree service in Dover and offer $900 removals for those trees. If those three trees were 50-60 feet tall, guys up here would be getting less than a $1000 total.

Just looking at the pics i would say about $250-$300 a tree. Apparently we work in the wrong town.

Setting a price and actually selling your service (or product) at that price are different animals tho.

What do you plan to use to pull with? You are not going to pull that tree back up by attaching a rope two feet up the trunk unless you have a substantial rope and a tractor. If you could get 15' up it wouldn't be so bad, but there's no way you would get me on a ladder propped against that tree. I would do as mentioned, remove the fence and drop it where it's leaning.

Me personally, I would take the fence apart then chunk it down from the bottom. I deal with blown down leaners like that alot and I have always found it safest to work them down in pieces from the bottom. This is assuming you have a clear area in the other yard with nothing for it to hit

Setting a price and actually selling your service (or product) at that price are different animals tho.

But why even waste the money to go look at it and give a price unless you got a shot in hell of getting it. Around here, no shot, figure he must have been somewhat close.

Section VIII, I don't know your experience level so I'll shy away from advising that you chunk it down from the bottom. I agree remove the fence. If you can safely fall it by cutting above the break, then cut it and use your chain to pull it down (similiar cutting risk as the first cut in chunking but your done with that cutting hazard instead of exposing yourself to it over and over and at ever increasing levels if you chunk it until it is down). If you are unsure you can safely cut it down, then consider whether or not you can chain it high and pull it to the side to release it from the holding tree. However you approach it, that tree is still a loaded gun so take your time, consider your approach fully and be careful. If you have any doubt as to your ability to do this safely, the $1000 would be money well spent (although you probably should get another quote). Ron

I'm no arborist and I only looked at two pictures but I would try rolling it with a peavey (cant hook) and free it from the other tree assuming there is no expensive target in the other yard. It doesn't look too hung up in the other tree.

pullling it back upright with a rope or chain is the most dangerous way to do this. Once you get it vertical you have lost control over the direction it will go because the base is mostly severed. You're going to put the weight of the tree back onto the severed stump and that fiber will compress unpredictably and the tree can then go in any direction.

Cut it down in chunks from the base. make relief cuts on the top and sides then cut up from the bottom. Take out small sections at a time and you incrementally move the weight in a controlled fashion. You can work a hung tree down fairly gently like this and you get to control where its going.

Maybe I missed something in the pics, but that tree looked alive to me. Full of leaves. You will not pull that tree hooked up just a couple ft above the break. I would definetly take a section of fence down and cut it like Zombiechopper said. After you knock a couple blocks off it you can hook a chain close to the bottom and drag the tree back and out of it's snag. Just cut a few inches off at a time. If you go cutting a long chunk off the tree can slide back onto you.
You try to pull that tree and you'll most likely get hurt or destroy something. That tree is being held by good wood and it'stronger than you think.

Remove fence. Attach chain choking stem a foot or so above where it's broken in two.

Attach other end of chain to light truck bumper hitch. Pull gently. Limb, then buck when down.

Burn slowly, come winter.

Thanks, all.

I appreciate the suggestions and given my fairly limited knowledge (and experience) with leaners, I wanted to get your opinions on if it could be done by someone like me who has felled before numerous times but none of them were serious leaners stuck in the fork of a tree. What you can't see in the pictures is that it's stuck in another tree further up. All the leaves are from other trees.

I think I might end up doing what many of you suggested and definitely take out the fence section; however, bucking it from the bottom up worries me in that a section may end up stuck in mid-air. I guess I could cut as much I could from the ground and then try to pull down the remaining section with rope.

Oh, and to clarify, the quote I got was to use a bucket truck and included grinding. Still thought it was too much so that is why I decided to risk messing up the face/back cuts and damaging a house or two.

The break is pretty much at ground level. One of the support roots came up with the tree. I have since pulled that part off with my bare hands (which makes me more convinced that it was dead).

Back