Learning Curve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, purely by accident, I learned something about the new EPA firebox last night... how to make it "heat" longer.
It has the draft control in front, a sliding knob with a scale marked from "1" to "5", with 5 being the hottest. There's also a bracketed section labeled "Normal Range", ("2" to "4"). My SOP has been to use "5" to get the fire going pretty good, and then turn it down... wait for heat.

Last night I got home from being on the road for a couple days, around 4:00 PM. It's been sunny and pretty nice here, the wife hadn't started a fire while I was gone... but temps were cooling a bit and the house was down to 67[sup]o[/sup], and predictions were for high 20's overnight. I was dead-tired, and went down to get a fire going, left it on "5" and walked up stairs to relax just a bit before turning it down... dozed off. The kids woke me up about 45 minutes later, and I jumped up to check the fire, concerned it would be over-heating. It was hot, screaming hot, but not necessarily overheating and a lot of the fuel load had been consumed. Man it was throwing some serious heat from the vents. So anyway, I had a bite to eat, went down and topped off the fire... and went in to bed, asleep before 7:30.

Now, for some reason, I wake up whenever the blow stops... even though you can't really hear it running (I know, it don't make sense... but it-is-what-it-is). I heard, or felt, the blower kick off at 4:30 this morning... Nine hours of heating! Granted the last two or three hours it wasn't making a lot of heat, but still. Made some coffee and went down to check the firebox... I had actually left the draft control a bit further open than I normally would (set on "3" instead of "2"), likely because I was so tired.

This just feels backazzwards to me... but apparently this firebox likes to start out "hot" (really hot), and be kept "hot" (really hot), to keep "making heat" over several hours. It wants to run screaming hot... It wants to be fed more air than I've been giving it both at start-up and during the extended burn, which appears to keep the coals hotter, longer. This is backazzwards compared to the old smoke dragon... feeding it more air would cause it to over-heat, consume the fuel load in no-time-flat, and send most of the heat out the flue.

Learning curve I guess... I may have to re-think a few more things.

I get what your saying. I do not "damp" mine down at all. Is a Buckstove Insert. Stoke it full of whatever comes out of the pile next and let it burn.I went to bed at just before 10 last evening (way early for me). Got up at 4 this morning, cleaned the ash from the front of the pile, and filled it with more of the same as before. Lit off on it's own and was throwing off plenty of heat in maybe 15 minutes. Have the same results if I let it go thru the day. My thinking is that as long as it burns hot the buildup of chimney trash is less. My Dad always said throwing a piece of unseasoned (green) Oak on a hot bed of coals once in a while would help keep the chimney clean. Not sure what the relationship is there, but my brother said he hasn't cleaned his chimney in 20 years. Has checked it, but never cleaned it. Go figure.

Whitespider,

Almost identical to my experience about 2 years ago when i put old burtha to rest and got a small epa.
Took me the best part of the first shoulder seson to figure out just what the new little epa liked.

Habbits from the old stove are tough to break for sure.
Just be 100% sure that everything you did in the old stove will be wrong for the new one. LOL
I have just a slider with no marks so you can imagine what fun that was to get things right.

One big thing i noticed is the new little stove needs much less wood for the same heating and burn times are quite a bit better.
Be real careful on over choke on them though, to little air and they smoulder bad or even go out at night.

rigandig,

I find with the new stoves since they produce lots more heat in the stove than the old stoves the chimney is much dirtier than the old stove was.

Think a yearly pipe cleaning is a must with them.
Always some tradeoff for more heat indoors i guess.

Woody if the flue is dirty and it is an epa new style stove. Only 2 things wood cause that. wet wood or and oversized flue in combination with reducing the combustion air too much.
Full year burn some six cords mixed hardwoods, 1 cleaning 2 weeks ago ( which was about the same time as last year) about one quart jar of crud. 6" flue about 15ft or so, first 5 feet to ceiling double wall, rest is insulated triple wall. Englander NC30

Last edited:
Spider I think your findings are right in line with mine and others that have chimed in here, my last insert and current freestanding EPA reburn stove runs at it's best when the primary air control is at least open halfway or more. Seems the secondary's don't work unless that firebox is HOT!

Which makes sense the wood gasses off a little faster and those secondaries do their thing, which really makes some heat. I believe to keep one running properly you can expect to see significantly higher stove top temps than what is traditionally considered to be "normal".

All I know is, I burn alot less wood with one and the chimney stays infinitely cleaner due to higher stove temps and less smoke.

See.....Those coals produce a bit of heat. The way I see things, when the fire is burning at night it usually overshoots the thermostat in the house. Once the fire hits the coaling stage, the furnace cycles less often but the house is warm. As the house cools slowly the cycles on the furnace offsets the temperature drop. Usually when we wake then the house is at or within a degree of the thermostat for the wood furnace and we awake with a bed of coals. We also found there's no need to always stuff the firebox at night. A decent load half or so has been getting us through the night, temps have been 25-35 degrees. I don't care if there's only a handfull of coals, if the house is warm and the furnace has enough for a reload in the A.M I'm happy.

blades,

Not real dirty, just much dirtier than the old woodstove.
Price of a lot more heat staying in the woodstove on the new epa stoves.

I'm sure i could get away with many years between cleans.
I go on the roof each spring and clean it dirty or not, price of being married :)

Old stove was a total waste of time cleaning it and the new epa yeah you can see a bit but not what i would call much.

I do think epa stoves and forgotten pipe cleanings is asking for trouble more than the old bertha style stoves though.

I am just wondering, and yes its against the guy code, but did anyone actually read the owners manual with their new EPA stove??? Mine clearly states how to start the fire with loosly crumpled newpapers covering the floor of the stove, then small kindling on top, then light. Once fire is established then add larger pieces of wood. Now leave it on high, watch gauge of when to close by-pass and engage the cat. Burn on high to light the cat (same for secondary burn) for some time until the temp is toward the high end of the temp gauge. Now once everything is done set your damper to a "normal" range as indicated by the stove. Sounds to me like many are not allowing the stove to get hot enough to engage the secondary burning, thus cutting the burn times way down as it would have been with the old smoke dragons. I am also not sure how your stove is set to operate whitespider, but mine has a bi-metal thermostat to control draft so I cannot over fire my stove. If it gets too hot the damper will automatically adjust itself limiting the incoming combustioin air.

No "gauge" to watch...
No "by-pass" to close...
No "Cat" to engage (does have secondary burn though)...
No "bi-metal thermostat" of any sort...
Just one manually adjusted lever that opens (or closes) both the primary and secondary draft air in tandem... but I agree with you that I probably haven't been letting it get hot "enough" before cutting back on the draft.

No "gauge" to watch...
No "by-pass" to close...
No "Cat" to engage (does have secondary burn though)...
No "bi-metal thermostat" of any sort...
Just one manually adjusted lever that opens (or closes) both the primary and secondary draft air in tandem... but I agree with you that I probably haven't been letting it get hot "enough" before cutting back on the draft.

When it's rocking, can you see the secondary tubes' burning the "unburnt burnable gasses"?
I think you should be able to see it...

It doesn't have tubes, it has a stainless steel baffle in the top about the size of a large phone book.
The baffle has holes in it, back to front, and across the front... gets its air from a single square channel up the back wall of the firebox.
Yeah, when it's "rocking" there's a firestorm of blue flames shooting out those holes... sometimes blasting near halfway to the floor of the firebox.

It doesn't have tubes, it has a stainless steel baffle in the top about the size of a large phone book.
The baffle has holes in it, back to front, and across the front... gets its air from a single square channel up the back wall of the firebox.
Yeah, when it's "rocking" there's a firestorm of blue flames shooting out those holes... sometimes blasting near halfway to the floor of the firebox.

Very good... It's nice to know it's making heat with the stuff that would otherwise be wasted...

Buddy, thats exactly what it's supposed to be doing! Great, so we can scrap the plans to drag out the welder and plasma cutter for next year? :D

Mine's ripping flame down at the floor right now, and the dog is laying near the stove soaking up the heat. Watching those secondaries do their thing sure beats cutting and splitting that extra two cords of wood a year this stove is saving me.

Whitespider,

Sounds like your new stove is doing fine.
Biggest urg for me to break was the heavy choke down at night like the old stove.
Once i got past that watching the shooting flames at the top made me think how much potential heat was going up the chimney in old bertha.

Did you get an auto fan included with yours?
Some people opt not to get one but they make another leap in heating and keeping the stove cooler.

Mine heats up for about 10 minutes then click the fan starts and it's like a death valey noon wind.:)
I can't imagine having a stove without one now.

Back