Leaves as mulch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Are chopped leaves a good mulch?

I thought they would make a good mulch because that is what occurs in nature, but my father raised the issue that they may not let enough oxygen into the soil.

Anyone have any thoughts?

What if the leaves are a year (or two) old?

Originally posted by whitenack
chopped leaves let enough oxygen into the soil.
What if the leaves are a year (or two) old?
If chopped they don't mat and block O2 exchange so much.:eek:

The older the better.;)

Yes copying nature is key; out there is natural fertilizer from animals, so broadcasting fert can be good. Out there are beneficial associates above its rootzones, not commercial turf.

In nature lower branches are not whacked off. Lots of other processes to emulate.

I scrounge for pine needles (pine straw) and oak leaves for mulch. I don't use maple as they DO seem to mat and slime together. It's a yearly thing.....I also don't bring the mulch right up to the tree or plant, at least a few inches away.

If you can shred them first with a mower or shredder they're easier to work with and seem to stay in place longer.

Even maple works in a pinch, if you mow them up with the lawn clippings (not a good practic if you spray anything on your lawns, IMHO)

I don't know if they do it in Mercer, but here in Boyle they collect all the leaves from the city and turn them with a bulldozer throughout the year. Springtime comes, and I sit at dawn in line with the truck for this black gold....wonderful stuff!!

I think what kind of leaves for mulching what can make a difference. You would'nt want to mulch blueberry bushes with Oak leaves cause they can raise th soil pH. I've got garden I used to mulch with hardwood leaves and I cant grow root crops in it. Not even a crummy radish. I pH'd the soil and it came out to almost 8. No more leaves unless it something that will acidify the soil for me. Besides buying sulfur I'd like to know what I could throw on there to bring the pH down.

Besides buying sulfur I'd like to know what I could throw on there to bring the pH down.

Pine needles are acidic....I thought oak leaves were also...I'll have to check on that.

~~~~~

I just found this thread about pine and oak's acidity:

acidifying soil

WOw, that site was enlightening. I'll have to try that test myself (Oak leaves in a jar of water, then pH).
I thought it was all the hardwood leaves etc. that was making the soil pH basic. I have no access to pine needles. But I'm confused. I've got 5 acres. covered with oaks, hickories, black cherry, etc. and the soil pH is high. With that many Oak leaves dumped in the fall why would pH be 8?

Originally posted by che

I don't know if they do it in Mercer, but here in Boyle they collect all the leaves from the city and turn them with a bulldozer throughout the year. Springtime comes, and I sit at dawn in line with the truck for this black gold....wonderful stuff!!

They do it here in Richmond also, makes great black dirt after a year of turning. I mix it with our stump grinding and get a nice mix of soil after a year of turning. The grinding take a long time to break down, but mixing in the leaf compost helps the process.
;)

Latest posts

Back