Lets get to MILLING!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It sure has been quiet over here lately. I know it has been very hot out and it is kind of a pain in the a-- to work in but, do you have any recent pics to show, here is one of Casey Forest on my mill.
View attachment 36892

I wish I had some fresh pics but my 084 has been at WHS getting worked over. I should have it back in few days. I have 7 big logs on deck so be prepared. One is 60"+ x 16':D :clap: :rock: :blob2:

I got a new toy recently...

chaingrinder.jpg

I'll be converting some older chains over the next few days as well as making a few other styles of ripping chain to test. I'll share the results.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
I wish I had some fresh pics but my 084 has been at WHS getting worked over. I should have it back in few days. I have 7 big logs on deck so be prepared. One is 60"+ x 16':D :clap: :rock: :blob2:

I got a new toy recently...

chaingrinder.jpg

I'll be converting some older chains over the next few days as well as making a few other styles of ripping chain to test. I'll share the results.
60" WOW, what kind of wood? Can't wait to see!
Mark

Looks like a nice grinder. My 084 is going to the dealer tomorrow, got a fuel supply problem. What did you have done to your 084?

Ill get back at it when I get some more fuel through the 660. Ive got some Red Maple I want to see what it looks like, then back to the White Oak, I want to redo the deck on my trailer.

carvinmark said:
Looks like a nice grinder. My 084 is going to the dealer tomorrow, got a fuel supply problem. What did you have done to your 084?

Well... it started out needing a little work after a fuel problem of my own. No, I didn't put straight gas in it. I ran out of my usual oil (echo power blend) late one evening and used el cheapo 2 stroke oil from the nearest gas station.:bang: :censored: I figured I'd mix it rich and it will be OK. Maybe for regular sawing but NOT milling. DON'T USE CHEAP 2 STROKE MIX! PERIOD!:angry:

The local stihl dealer quoted me $500 for just a piston, cylinder, etc. plus labor:buttkick: so I tore into it myself. I discovered the cylinder wasn't in real bad shape but something in the process went haywire enough to crack the crank at the connecting rod bearings. That's when I decided to let Dean take over. He'll soon be done with the above repairs plus his stage 3 torque mod.:rock: :chainsaw: This thing will have the potential to be a milling demon. A full account it's trials will be reported, of course.

Until then, it's...
millertime.jpg

:)

Good luck on the 084!, I've been milling a little in the morning. Out here the dept of forestery takes fire season very seriously (there's 25-30 fires going in the district now) and homeowner saw use is a no-no after 10am. I know the guys and could get a waiver, but a couple, three hrs milling leaves the day fer poundin nails, etc.
What a damn slow way to build...1st cut the tree down, haul it home,make a few boards, nail them. :givebeer:

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Well... it started out needing a little work after a fuel problem of my own. No, I didn't put straight gas in it. I ran out of my usual oil (echo power blend) late one evening and used el cheapo 2 stroke oil from the nearest gas station.:bang: :censored: I figured I'd mix it rich and it will be OK. Maybe for regular sawing but NOT milling. DON'T USE CHEAP 2 STROKE MIX! PERIOD!:angry:

The local stihl dealer quoted me $500 for just a piston, cylinder, etc. plus labor:buttkick: so I tore into it myself. I discovered the cylinder wasn't in real bad shape but something in the process went haywire enough to crack the crank at the connecting rod bearings. That's when I decided to let Dean take over. He'll soon be done with the above repairs plus his stage 3 torque mod.:rock: :chainsaw: This thing will have the potential to be a milling demon. A full account it's trials will be reported, of course.

Until then, it's...
millertime.jpg

:)

Sorry to hear about the problems you had, sounds like it should be nice when you get it back. I think mine is minor (I hope).
Mark

Maxx Grinder

Let me know how that grinder is!I almost hit that BUY NOW button 4 or 5 times.Understand that the Oregon 511a Motor can't be reversed anymore?This one can?
Thanks,
Ed

314epw said:
Let me know how that grinder is!I almost hit that BUY NOW button 4 or 5 times.Understand that the Oregon 511a Motor can't be reversed anymore?This one can?
Thanks,
Ed

I'm pleased thus far. It's easy to use and resonably accurate. The motor does not reverse. The entire setup is ambidextrous so to speak. I intend to post a series of pictures tomorrow showing the steps I took to make a granberg style ripping chain. Stay tuned...

Back