Let's start a good thread!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ak4195

ak4195

ArboristSite Operative
Shucks you all got it easy(south of say 54th parallel)

Sorry no pics,but the gardens been in for several months.First of course is digging off the snow,down to last years visqueen for plantingthe garlic bed.My experience is that our relatively long thaws make for soggy rotten over wintered garlic(unlike down south).I get my seed from an Okanagen Wa.,garlic dealer.
This year being an awesome spring I started early,every year is different so you have to go with your nose,and watch mother nature very closely
She throws off clues all the time(and I cheat and watch the west pacific thermal readings).Since I have to anticipate being gone all summer this year,ive focused on relatively seriously low maintanance cold weather crops.Romaine/buttercrunch,swiss chard,kale,collards,broccolli and of course onions.Taters are yellow finns,n yukon golds,and some red brand,to tell the truth I think they have crossbred,but thats ok.
EVERY thing is organic,sure its more work,sure it starts out slow compared to everybody else,but in the end I get bigger/more yield.No snap peas this year,generally i go with "cascadia" or something like that from Territorial seed company in oregon.I learneded that brand from living in oregon for 5 yrs,where I started a veggie garden for the first time in perhaps 20 yrs.
I own -ahem- i mean i own the debt on 3 acres/log house here in wasilla,about 1 of that is grass,grass Id like to stop mowing and let some 4 legged critters take care of,they can have the back 2 as well.I own other property too,but dont really get to spend much time with them.One is 2 lots on the BLuff overlooking Kachemak bay(killer $million$ view),the other is 3 inherited lots on the Gulkana river(also very nice).
Once I quit hangin out in bars and spending all my loot on drugs/bars,I noticed I've gravitated back to the things I did when I was a kid,or was interested in doing then.
Ive given up backcountry skiing,and I try not to scramble down mountains anymore,which unfortunately means not climbing up them.Im 48 and worry that Im just on the cusp of deteriorating knees,Id like to keep everything factory as long as possible.
Half my house is heated with wood(upstairs) and ive considered putting in a stove downstairs,I have the 2 saw plan,2 truck plan.A truck doesnt HAVE to have 8 lugs,a truck is merely a vehicle with a hole in the back.Although I couldnt see owning one without 4 wd.
Ive always had in the back of my mind of retiring to NW N.M,why?Heck if I know,its just always been in the back of my mind
great thread
ak4195

HimWill

HimWill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Fish,you noticed he mentioned Yukon Gold potatoes,you need to put them on your list for next year.Do you use the BT on your cabbage,it does a job on those little green worms.It's one of the safe bug getters,the other thing I use is Zote soap.A soapy water solution will kill spider mites,squash beetles and stink bugs with no harmful effects to people or animals.Zote soap is from Mexico and is real soap,not detergent,so it has a very high fatty acid content that kills bugs dead.Breaks down their cell walls and they just "bleed" to death internally.You can get it at Save-a-Lot or Dollar General(in the Hispanic section).

HimWill

HimWill

Addicted to ArboristSite
It's about time to spray a few bugs.Here is the Zote soap I mentioned earlier.It is real soap,so it's safe to use around the house and yard.To use it,all you do is wash your hands in a bucket of water(I use an ice-cream bucket) until the water is good and cloudy.Then pour the water into your sprayer and spray it on your plants.Kills most soft-bodied bugs in a minute or two.Beetles and ants take a lot longer.
This is a picture of the bar of soap,it is on a 9" paper plate to give you some idea of how big it is,(enough to last for a few years if you just use it for bugs).The bar weighs 14 oz.,like a small brick,cut it into manageable sizes with a cheese wire.It is available at Dollar General,Save-A-Lot etc. for about $1 a bar.
Give it a try,you'll be amazed at the results.

attachment.php

HimWill

HimWill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well Fish,how have the recent rainstorms affected your garden?How are the onions coming along?Dug any potatoes yet?

Inquiring minds want to know..................

motobike

motobike

ArboristSite Operative
Fish

Fish,

I am sort of new on this site, and I don't post much; but had to congratulate you on your idea to live in the rural country. The big cities are terrible and the smaller cities are getting there fast. At least that is my personal opinion; not to offend anybody else.

I too, live in the country, rural flyover country, central PA. Not too far from where Flight 93 went down on 9-11.

Purchased the family farm a couple of years ago; and enjoy to see the grass and trees grow. Oh watching wildlife is OK also. Deer, bear, turkey, and what should be the PA State animal (the woodchuck) groundhog. The little B@$tards dig holes all over, that my tractor, or motorcycles fall into.

You mentioned weed control: We have a new weed in our area called Canada Thistle (Cirsium arvense), showed up a few years ago and is taking over. Do a computer search on it and you can see how bad it is. Hope you don't have that one.

That is a very beautiful Rose bush you have.

Motobike

HimWill

HimWill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Canada thistle was a big problem in middle Tennessee about 10 years ago.It takes 2 years to complete its life cycle,a rosette of leaves the first year and the towering seedstalk the second.There wasn't much to control it for quite a while,then the goldfinches made a comeback.They fed on the seeds and have pretty well got it under control around here.
So my advice is to put up some goldfinch feeders and let nature take its course.
Goldfinches also love echinacea (the purple coneflower).

Honkie

Honkie

ArboristSite Guru
The wife and I owned a 5200 square foot house settin on 12 wooded acres, about 10 minutes from Jackson lake.

Well, the bottom fell out of the construction Industry here, and I had to let that go back to the bank.

I really miss living there, had my own 100 yard range, took the family on tractor rides to the creek. When I would get bored, I would grab my dog and just go walking through the woods.

I am currently living in a POS lease, in a overcrowded suburb. I would try to start a garden, but the natives would also try to plant their "own" seeds to grow.

Hopefully soon I can get back to the country, be isolated again, and only be bothered by the far house to the south for sunday beer, or extra ammo.

Edited to add: Yalls places are beautiful! A couple of chickens sounds cool, but the 'yotes , foxes and bobcats here would make a quick meal of them!

Last edited:

Fish

Tree Freak
I had to reign in the chickens a bit, they are limited to 1/8 an acre now,
the poop, rooster attacks, and chickens in my shop were getting out of hand.

Otherwise, I am doing what I want to do, getting ready for a busy spring,
focusing more in selling online than service around here, need another building for the parts though.

Stihl planning to hang here and help guys if I can, keep out of trouble, etc....

jerryw66

jerryw66

ArboristSite Guru
This is one of my favorite threads on AS. We had a long winter, 100 days in a row that never hit 40, lots of snow and wind too. Now we're getting ready for spring, ordering plants and seeds, 50 chicks, getting mower ready, and all that good summer stuff. Wish I could post some pics, but new computer is not ready yet, hopefully the better half gets that ready soon. New spring visitors are muskrats, dogs have killed several, and they are everywhere around here. I guess a good hide is 7$, mite be too late now I think the seasons over. Oh yea, I cut a load of firewood with the 2171 on Sun morn, Mom's got a big ash tree that's split from the ground up 20+ ft, has to come down soon as it's hanging over the folk's house.

Last edited:
eyolf

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
I remember this thread from last year, and thought I responded to it as well. Guess not.

Classic. Almost everybody on their best behaviour, except maybe one guy looking for "tit"illating photos.

Sigh...

Its a little cooler in MN than in Fish's home, but there are a few peppers under lights in the basement, tomatoes and others start maybe tonight. Oh, and some petunias and pansies for around the house. Ma likes that... The snow is almost completely gone, and if I wasn't sicker than a dog, maybe I'd feel more like getting outside. DR said virus should be over with in 4-5 days...been 3. Weather is really nice right now, makes a guy think about spring.

So, Fish, in my book you're all right; a "free spirit", back to the lander, mtn man, etc. I think most of us are, really, anyway.

Maybe I'll go watch Jeremiah Johnson again...

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Hey Fish, I think you are a welcome change to this forum. I am starting to like you more and more...must be a thing related to getting older ....

carry on....

PS. I tried a private vegetable garden the first year i got married, probably to impress the lady. The bugs and wurms had a good time that year...they made sure our harvest was pretty insignificant.:(

Fish

Tree Freak
My first try at sweet corn was a failure due to the local raccoons, I got 8 ears out of 12 rows. Moving the garden down to the bottom should be a good move, provided the river doesn't flood it too bad.

sefh3

sefh3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Fish sounds like your still living the dream...

My wife's 93 year young grandmother has a garden every year about that size. It's great. Nothing beats home grown veggies. We tried watermelon and pumpkins last year. This was the first for this. We ended up and a mixed breed melon, Looked like a pumpkin but had the inside of a watermelon. We learned from our mistakes... can't plant them that close to each other so this year one will be at one side and the other at the other side of the garden.

For the corn make sure you keep it away from the floods,,,, corn doesn't like that much water..

Latest posts