lift froze up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony010373

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a aerial lift of connecticut. And when u go to operate it from bucket, it is frozen up. Someone told me to drain hydraulic oil out and put diesal fuel in it. But I didnt feel right about doing this. Can someone tell me how i can fix my problem? It only does it when its below 33 degrees. thank you

it is a aerial lift of connecticut, i guess thats what it is . Its all cable driven. if that helps. The guy i bought it from said it was a alc. And thank you for all your help

You need to contact the manufacturer of the equipment and find out what is the problem with the unit and what type fluid should be in the system. I have never heard of ANY hydraulic lift using diesel fuel as oil. :dizzy: The wrong fluid could destroy the pump and cylinders or worse cause the boom to fail while in use. Be safe, get it checked out the right way.

Do not use diesel, that much sulfur running through your hydro lines cannot is not good. Started the tractor when it was 5 degrees out this morning, hydro works fine.

anthony010373 said:
it is a aerial lift of connecticut, i guess thats what it is . Its all cable driven. if that helps. The guy i bought it from said it was a alc. And thank you for all your help
he lied or doesnt know.

if it looks like a ALC but has cables it is a skyworker. those controls are a low pressure system seperate from the rest of hydralics. DO NOT USE DIESEL.

it needs low temp hydro fluis like you would buy for a snow plow. but it needs to be pumped in and bled. do not try if you dont know how, it will cost you big $$.

store it inside if you can or wrap electrip tape wrap (like you would put on water pipes) around the silver control box uptop and warm it before use

skyworker

That lift is either a ALC al-45 or a skyworker 1044 or 1045.
Same thing except the ALC upgraded the skyworker with a steel knuckle in place of the skyworker aluminum knuckle that is notorious for failure.
The ALC would not have the cable rotation system.
Also ALC used high pressure hydrolics. If you have a small silver tank with a fill cap on it by the upper controls its a skyworker.
I had a skyworker that would freeze up in the cold just like yours.
Try using a small propane heater, stick it right next to that silver tank by the controls. Make sure their isnt any sticks or sawdust in the cover area, I lit it up a few times.
Good Luck

If it is an Aerial Lift you can use a short hose with male coupler on one end and a female on the other end, hook it to the tool couplers, this will complete the circuit and warm the fluid quicker with less stress on the pump. If it is a sky-worker there is a high pressure and a low pressure system,it uses 2 different fluids, glacial blue(Kendall) for the big tank, and Diala(bad spelling)for the resevoir near the upper controls. Problem with the sky-worker is proper bleeding of the system. With any luck it is an A.L.of Conn. give them a call at 1-800-446-5438, or www.aeriallift.com

Latest posts

Back