Lighting tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Murphy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Pic's of lighting struck Euc Viminalis.... I went up about 60' and Scott went up 80' but pulled out ...we would 've had to anchor into burnt limbs to reach deadwood...Looking at a crane option.

What size bulb was in that lighting fixture?;) Seriously, my experience with Eucalyptus is very limited but, that looks like a candidate for removal. Is there less room around it than the pic seems to suggest?

P.S. Charred wood is of course brittle and weak but unburned wood under the charring can actually be stronger than 'normal'. Several of the Eastern Woodland American Indian tribes reportedly preferred to use staves from fire-killed trees for their bows.The wood became sronger in compression while maintaining tension strength.

The surrounding remant forest is about 60'-70' so at 110' it towers above it.Also it is on top of a ridge.
Taller/older Euc's are frequently infected with fungi(rotten). I wonder what lighting does to fungi?
It probably should be removed but it is a landmark and not really a threat to anyone.The guy who owns it kinda likes it too.
I doubt that any work will be done on it ....talk was to fence it off and leave it be..

Latest posts

Back