Lightning struck trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, never heard that one. But I'll remember the lightning-struck tree forest fire line in case someone tries to pass off the rural legend. :D

Not only will it burn, a certain amount of it hits the ground already split into kindling. :cheers:

It's amazing what people believe, but it's the human psychological trait of persistence at work. We will form a belief or opinion based on scant to no evidence, but once that belief is formed practically no evidence is sufficient to overturn it.

Jack

Reminds me of some people on this site....

It might not make the best lumber but I'm sure it will burn. Maybe that's why we never left our beer cans hanging from the trees as path markers. Didn't want them cans to get hit by one of them strikes and take out a good tree. I had a barn hit by lighting and that sucker was up in smoke in no time. It really didn't burn until I opened up the door. That's when I learned about back flash. :cheers:

Well you guys laugh all you want,if you do happen to get it to burn it will electrocute your stove and all the smoke will give you a charge. If you try to clean out your stove to soon after burning you will probably get a bad shock. I have spent a lot of money on a special stove that turns this wood into household electricity. I actually have my stove hard wired to my meter box. While burning lightning struck wood it actually causes the meter to run backwards.
Just for safety,if you live within 50 miles of me I would suggest you bring it over for safe burning. If you want to travel further than that,go for it. It is always better to be safe then sorry. I will gladly accept all the lightning struck wood you have,,,,,,,,,,you know for safety. This is for your own good so bring it over ASAP. One last thing it has been known to blow ones tires out while driving down the road,(the wind creates static electricity)it is best to cut it to 16 inch lengths and split it before you load it,tarping also helps.(this helps retard the spark for a few days) I will take all you can bring,as a service to you. However in the near future because of a new energy tax,I will be forced to charge you $50.00 a cord for this disposal service.

Well you guys laugh all you want,if you do happen to get it to burn it will electrocute your stove and all the smoke will give you a charge. If you try to clean out your stove to soon after burning you will probably get a bad shock. I have spent a lot of money on a special stove that turns this wood into household electricity. I actually have my stove hard wired to my meter box. While burning lightning struck wood it actually causes the meter to run backwards.
Just for safety,if you live within 50 miles of me I would suggest you bring it over for safe burning. If you want to travel further than that,go for it. It is always better to be safe then sorry. I will gladly accept all the lightning struck wood you have,,,,,,,,,,you know for safety. This is for your own good so bring it over ASAP. One last thing it has been known to blow ones tires out while driving down the road,(the wind creates static electricity)it is best to cut it to 16 inch lengths and split it before you load it,tarping also helps.(this helps retard the spark for a few days) I will take all you can bring,as a service to you. However in the near future because of a new energy tax,I will be forced to charge you $50.00 a cord for this disposal service.

Dang Wampum, you'd make a good politician. LOL

Can't say about other tree's but I have seen tree's hit by lighting, Lodge pole pines and it blows the bark off them so they look like a barber shop pole. By the next summer they are dead and burn fine:)Unless it's dry out then they catch fire and can spread into a real forest fire kinda scary

Had a silver maple get hit and no problems with it burning. The interesting thing was the black streak in the center of the tree.

I remember as a kid, a big old red pine got struck by lightning. It went up like a roman candle.

lol like i said an old wise tale I guess. Maybe its just some local thing. I've been told that 3 times now that I can think of while cutting a struck tree that it wouldn't burn because of it being struck. No leg pullin involved. They all wanted some of the firewood being cut until they found that out then didn't want anything to do with it. Had to find out if anyone else was hearin this anywhere else around.

I know this thread is old but just found it :) My grandfather used to refuse any tree struck by lightening. For a long time I did as well, but last year burnt a lot of wood that was killed by lightening and it burnt fine.

When I was a teenager there was an oak that had been hit by lightning in the woods behind my parent's place. There was a strip blown out the side of it and there was toothpick-sized and larger shrapnel all through the woods in that direction. It would not have been a good place to be! I don't remember if we burned it or not.

I'll take all the lightning-struck wood ya got. I don't care if it's exploded. Makes good kindling.

lol like i said an old wise tale I guess. Maybe its just some local thing. I've been told that 3 times now that I can think of while cutting a struck tree that it wouldn't burn because of it being struck. No leg pullin involved. They all wanted some of the firewood being cut until they found that out then didn't want anything to do with it. Had to find out if anyone else was hearin this anywhere else around.

Interesting twist. Always heard it as "old wives' tale" meaning it's your option to believe it.

Not only will it burn, a certain amount of it hits the ground already split into kindling. :cheers:

It's amazing what people believe, but it's the human psychological trait of persistence at work. We will form a belief or opinion based on scant to no evidence, but once that belief is formed practically no evidence is sufficient to overturn it.

Jack

You mean,like all the peole that believe putting pine in your firebox will cause the house to burn to the ground?

This probably got started by someone trying to warn people about cutting damaged trees. Scare of the novice cutter from taking on a tree with internal damage? Just thinking out loud

Just last month on Friday the 13th we had a 60' to 70' Cedar get hit buy lighting and guess what the limbs and all the real small stuff burned up in the clean up pile just fine :msp_biggrin:

What we could get in our wood shed is getting ready for this coming winter :msp_biggrin:

Back