Like to plant a tall hedge row

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regsyard

Reaction score
I have a property line in my back I want to line with trees/hedges. The plants would need to be or grow to be 15 to 20 feet tall to give privacy { because the nieghbors house is about six feet higher than ours at first floor 6 feet away from property line and he has a lovely view into our Bay window. :rolleyes: The plants would have to be narrow upright growers the Yard is small already . He's already all over our locust tree so I'm thinking not more trees that would grow to his side because he will object to there planting or cut them when they grow.
So I post this to learn hopefully- what hedges would be good
I've heard of cypress, but don't know much about

Someone suggested bamboo but I want something more perminent.
I'm sure there's lots of choices out there
So thanks for your time have a nice Day!
Regan:)

Regan,
How about an Arborvitae evergreen hedge. Thuja occidentalis "Nigra" grows to 20 feet with a 5 foot spread.

Or to add a little security how about a Holly? Nellie Stevens holly, Ilex x "Nellie Stevens" grows to 20 feet by 10 feet. Plus you can have the red berries on the females.

Thats my two-cents worth.

thats not much room , but the cypress you heard of is probably Leyland cypress, which can grow 3 ft a year . I like the idea of bamboo , especially if you can find a really cool cultivar. many are invasive so will you be able to contain it ? there are some cultivars that have black stems instead of green. I grow it for garden stakes but i can mow around it to keep it from spreading .bamboo should be semi evergreen in your area so you should still have your privacy. john

Jay,
Is there a common name for that evergreen hedge the demensions sound good.

John Paul,
I could mow around the bamboo thats no problem- I'v seen other bamboo in yards in the area

And Sonny,
The oliander sounds great - I didn't know what it was till I looked it up - Thanks it's a nice idea!

All these sound good Thanks every one I'm gonna check into these choices!
Have a nice Day
Regan

Regan,
Arborvitae is the common name? Bamboo in a clumb form will not be that hard to take care of.

Latest posts

Back