limb over power line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard od a policy that did not cover lightning strikes. Maybe the neighbor is fibbing because he fears having to pay a deductible.

The neighbor may own the tree trunk, but the lady owns the branches over her property. It's impossible to believe that neither party has <$100 for an hour of an arborist's time to snag the limb and toss it aside. The longterm issue is the rest of the tree: if it is hazardous and the owner refuses to fix it, maybe the lady should send a certified letter, copied to his insurance company and the local police, notifying him.

Then if it fails and damages her property, he's guilty of neglect and in line to pay. rb, where's the picture?

treeseer said:
rb, where's the picture?

I posted 5 pics in post 14 of this thread. Take a look. I don't think the guy wants to pay a deductible or pay for tree work. He says he doesn't have the money.

when I'm in the area I can remove it free of charge.

What a guy! Maybe while you're in the tree you can assess the lightning damage and tell the tree owner his options. Perhaps then he will stop neglecting a hazard. Crying poor, indeed; I can hear Abe Lincoln squealing from here. With neighbors like that, who needs enemies?

Fair enough; I heard that. Alls I was sayin was while you are up the tree you may be able to give the owner a report on the tree's condition, and your quote to make it better. Who knows, he may then be in the mood to be responsible.

treeseer said:
Fair enough; I heard that. Alls I was sayin was while you are up the tree you may be able to give the owner a report on the tree's condition, and your quote to make it better. Who knows, he may then be in the mood to be responsible.

True, when he hears a price he may reconsider. Also if he knows other neighbors are involved he might feel some pressure to do the right thing. Then again, maybe not. We'll see.

Tod always says "Tree work can be hazardous, hire and arborist. The limbs you save may be your own!" If the lady is that worried about the branch she can come off $150 to sleep better at night. Is she going to let it go if it falls and rips her power line off her house while you're entering the canopy? Is she going to pay for your medical bills if you're injured on her free work? If she has a home she has $150. If you want to do something for free give her a hazard assessment that she can send certified mail to her neighbor and his insurance company. That way if it falls and damages her line it is negligence. If someone is hurt it may be criminal negligence. If someone dies......quite possibly criminally negligent homicide. There is a big difference between not wanting to spend money and not having any money. I hear these tales of woe often enough. The problem is most people don't want to be good neighbors anymore. Most people would laugh if you ask them to go to their job for no pay. However, they expect us to do so when it benefits them.
Sorry if I'm a little bitter today..........my neighbors are being a pain in the rear.

xander9727 said:
If the lady is that worried about the branch she can come off $150 to sleep better at night. Is she going to let it go if it falls and rips her power line off her house while you're entering the canopy? Is she going to pay for your medical bills if you're injured on her free work? If she has a home she has $150. If you want to do something for free give her a hazard assessment that she can send certified mail to her neighbor and his insurance company.

Calm down Tod! The woman was emphatic about not getting work for free. She's willing to pay (I don't know how much though), it's the tree owner that doesn't wan't to pay.

its a shame the power company wont remove hazards from service wires like that. the utility I work for would remove the limb immediately. If the utility wont remove the limb, see if they can do a temporary service re-route so it will make the hazard removal safer and easier.

The utility I work for removes only limbs that are actually on the service drop, ones that could fall..will that is homeowners responsibility to provide a clear path for service to the house. Wewill however disconect the service free of charge when they do or have somone perform the work. That being said on routine pruning I have my crews prune to remove limbs causing strain and abrasion on the service drops and remove dead overhangs that could fall and take out the service. Home owners are usually pleased and it cuts down on the calls and questions about clearing around the service drop.

JJackson said:
The utility I work for removes only limbs that are actually on the service drop, ones that could fall..will that is homeowners responsibility to provide a clear path for service to the house.

Well, the limb isn't hanging over the tree owner's line so he doesn't seem too concerned.

RB, #1 the line in question is a triplex & most power co. dont trim or remove for them, #2 get a Line Clearance Tree Trimmer, their trained for this, and the gentleman who said he would do for free THATS cool!!, done it my self just protect yourself as far as liability goes & be safe!! by the way xander 90210..etc the lady is 85 yrs old, my god she owns a house so charge her!! nice, her medical & health care are probably higher than your monthly take home, if one cant do a nice deed for someones mom,grandmother,etc.. then may what they reap be similar, you bust on unions but they would help this ole gal. apparently where you trained only did so for the $$$$. RB hope this Lady finds resolve take care. WHATTA RUSH LXT........

LXT,
This is the difference between a business owner and a clock puncher. I don't know about you but I'm not doing this for the practice. Also Einstein, if she's over 65 and doesn't have any money then she is on medicare..........I guess where you were trained they don't teach much about business or insurance. Maybe UAW will give her a car too!

xander9727 said:
LXT,
Also Einstein, if she's over 65 and doesn't have any money then she is on medicare..........I guess where you were trained they don't teach much about business or insurance. Maybe UAW will give her a car too!

if she's over 65, then she has Medicare... and possibly Medicaid if impoverished... HOWEVER, there's a limit to the number of prescriptions filled on Medicaid per month in many states... three prescriptions a month. (Medicare still doesn't have a medication supplement worth anything) at her age, there's a good chance she is on 5 meds or more... if she qualified for social security benefits, i doubt she is receiving a check of more than $800/month... even assuming she's on medicaid, her prescriptions could easily be over $500/month... which leaves little for electricity, heat source, food, and dignity.

now, if she's driving a brand new cadillac, she might be in the money...

xander, i don't know how old you are, but may the gods be gracious when you are 85-- there'll be no social security left (if you're a young pup) and you'll have to go to the library to post to this list cuz you won't be able to afford a computer-- you'll be living on whatever you save today...

good deeds are rewarded in the most unusual ways... harsh assumptions will be returned as well...

Susie Social Worker will now step back into the shadows...

I'm not being insensitive. Just because someone is 85 does not qualify them as poor, needy, drug dependent, unhealthy, etc. Maybe you should buy her groceries, pay her phone bill, etc too. Most people are in the situation they are in because of choices they have made. If you save 5% of what you make and you live a modest life you will not want for much when you're 85. I don't have a problem doing nice things for people. However, most of the takers out there use your emotions to get over on other people. I'm not saying this woman fits this particular stereotype. I will say that if you want something in this world you need to pay for it. I'm not a big supporter of the communist system or any other system that allows the lazy to survive in relative comfort. Social security was never intended as a form of retirement. It was designed to supplement the income of people during the years that they were less able to work or secure profitable enough employment. A retirement is what you earn by working for a company that provides those benefits or that you secure through sound saving and/or investment. I have a financial plan (at least in my mind) that will allow me to live in the manner I have become accustomed to after I retire (at 50). Most of the impoverished lack motivation and/or impulse control. They have made their bed and now they must lie in it.

My $.02

Come on Xander have a heart,WE all don't create the situations we're in
I had a plan too, now 45yrs.old married for 14 yrs. two kids and 6yrs. ago was making 60,000 pyr,and after 27yrs. I had an on the job accident, and 7cervical spine surgeries latter. I received 3yrs of workers comp. and wife got a second job,yes medical paid for Life but second year Insurance stopped paying for my subscriptions,took 11 months to streighten out at $1,162.00 a mth. out of my own pocket.Took 2 more yrs. to get reinbursed.I've been trying for last 3yr. to get the SSI I payed in 27yrs. for to start coming in and I'm still waiting for [gov bullshlt]. Yea Xander I had a plan too an $22,thou. in the bank But it don't last long when you can't
hardly move for 4 yrs and will never work again.Thank God the wonderful
wife I have who held 3 jobs til she started her own photo biz 2yrs ago and
supporting our family paying on new house, we bought only months before I got hurt plus car & land payments.So don't say it's all about choices.I just pray with the dangerous career you chose nothing ever happens to you!

Sorry for venting but did't I chose this!!!!!!
Mike E.

Bottom line: none of us know what is coming... some of us have investments, others pension plans through employment, etc. but any of that can go belly up in a heart beat.

my point, xander, was that things aren't always as they look... some who look impoverished have millions in the bank; others who look wealthy are in debt up to their eyeballs.

one suggestion as you plan retirement at age 50-- a current problem for that style of life is the devastation to your bank account as you pay private health insurance. start looking into options now, so you don't get the shock of having to go back to work to maintain that safety cushion in your life.

and yes, i am a social worker-- but i don't believe in handouts either. you and i are in agreement there... surprising, isn't it???

Update on the situation. I saw tree service removing a small pine from the woman's property. I suspect that she will get them to remove the limb too once the power co drops the line. I will try to get some pics if they are still working when I get home.

Well xander seems as though trinity may have educated you there!! I punch my own clock, by the way!! and by your comments you should practice consumer relations cause with your train of thought you wont be in bus. long, we all can read someone & yes we all get taken from time to time but a good deed and a thankyou sometimes goes along way its not all about the $$$, maybe to you!! Xander my advice to you would be youth only lasts a short time, before you know it age kicks in & my man in this trade it kicks in quick. Kindness will always leave the potential customer remembering you!!! WHATTA RUSH LXT................

Trinity Honoria said:
now, if she's driving a brand new cadillac, she might be in the money...

More like a 2001-2002 Mercury Marquis. I don't think she's loaded, but not impoverished either.

Latest posts

Back