limb over power line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My neighbor has a limb over the service line to her house. She hasn't been able to get the power company (Dominion VA Power) out to take care of it. What is the best way to get them to remedy the problem?

Never seen one pruned unless it was pushing the line up, down, or sideways.
Whats the big worry with it?
-Ralph

Around here, we call the power company and the forester for the power company will come look and either get the branch down (if it's over a transmission line), or schedule a service drop (send someone out to take the power line down for a certain amount of time), to allow you to remove the limb safely.

rb_in_va said:
a limb over the service line to her house. What is the best way to get them to remedy the problem?
There are billions of limbs over service lines all over the world. Why is this one a problem, and why is the neighbor looking for someone else to solve her anxiety? :cry:

How to remedy most of these "problems"? Reduction of end weight using a pole pruner for the tree,
and Prozac for the client. :)

If you post a picture you might lend a little credence to this thread. Or not. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I guess I didn't elaborate very well did I (you guys can't read my mind?). A lightning storm struck the tree and tore the limb off. It's just resting on other limbs, and it looks like any wind might blow it down. It's not looking very safe. I'll see if I can get a pic today.

rb_in_va said:
A lightning storm struck the tree and tore the limb off..
1. Check insurance policy; she may be in line for repair or replacement value for the whole tree.
2. Get an arborist to look at the whole tree (many ins cos will pay for this). There are bound to be other issues besides the one limb that need attention.

treeseer said:
1. Check insurance policy; she may be in line for repair or replacement value for the whole tree.

Actually the tree is in her neighbor's yard, but hanging over her power line. The guy who own's the tree called his ins co and they said they don't cover it. I agree that an arborist will need to look at it. The wound is not pretty.

How many times has she called the power company? has there been a big storm there recently? If a customer calls our electric company and says they have a broken branch hanging over thier service wire, it gots looked at right away. The only catch is if there has been a big storm the power company may take awile to get there. If it is endangering the service line the power company should remove the broken piece, possibly the tree. In most cases the homeowner will be responsible for cleaning up the debris. If trees are split/cracked/broken or uprooted we do not clean up the mess.

She called the power company three times in a week and a half. There have been a few storms recently, but nothing too major. The tree owner called the power company as well, although I don't know how many times.

Not sure what else to tell ya. Is there any way the limb is not directly over the service line? Is it possible they could have already sent someone out and they didnt recognize it as a hazard to her service line? Is this an older lady? Can she play the "I am elderly and need my electricity" card? Another possibility the power company can do is run a temporary service line from her neighbors house to her house and remove the pole to house service so she can hire it done by a private contractor. After the hazard is removed the power company removes the temporary service and reinstalls the permanent wire. A sure fire way to get someone to look at it is to call them and tell them that you see arcing wires in your yard.

The limb (it's about 6-8" in diameter) is definitely over the service line. Part of the problem is that the guy who owns the tree is never home so she can't talk to him about it. The woman is 85, so she could probably play the elderly card. She thinks the power co is ignoring her because she is an old woman.

Here are some pics of the tree in question. I intentionally left most of them at large resolution so that you can zoom in and see detail. I have larger resolution ones if anyone needs them (2-3MB apiece). In the tree4 and tree5 pics you can really see the damage to the tree. What do you think?

email the photos to the power company, I bet they'll respond then. I've got a similar gig going on at my place, except all the trees (elms of some sort) are in neighbors' properties. They drop a 2-6" limb about every other week. Some are still hanging on the power lines.

I called the power company and they said they don't handle limbs over the service line to the house, just the lines on the street. The neighbor who owns the tree said he doesn't have the money to pay for tree work. So the situation is bad for the woman who will suffer the damage. Anyone here looking to do a good deed? :angel: I can offer assistance if needed. I just don't feel confident doing something like this myself.

You would think his insurance would cover it, if that comes down then they will be paying out more $$$ than it would to just take care of it now wouldn't they?

never heard fo the utility clearing a limb over a service drop in chattanooga ... but i have heard of them pulling the meter ...

lostone said:
You would think his insurance would cover it, if that comes down then they will be paying out more $$$ than it would to just take care of it now wouldn't they?

Apparently he wants to wait until it comes down in <i>her</i> yard. Then her insurance will have to pay for any damage.

Latest posts

Back