List of Upgrades to Vermeer SC252

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sc222 mod

After renting several tricycle 252s and then a 4 wheeler, I really appreciated the added stability of the 4 wheeler. One of the first Mods I did when I bought a SC222 with 25 HP was to change from tricycle to 4 wheeler. Built it from used E-bay parts for garden tractors. Total investment was < $200 including a steal on new tires.

Just finished replacing the bushings and shaft on the lower pivot and the bearings and shaft on the swing pivot. Was not bad at all, both shafts, bushings, bearings, came right out. Amazing difference, the slop is now gone. Not quite like new, but with 3760 hours on the machine it is awesome. Plyscamp, perhaps next time I'll beef it up underneath, but for now it has made such a difference I'm gonna go with the stock setup for the year.

Also changed the drive motor gear from the stock 16 tooth to a 20 tooth. Got it from McGuire. You'll have to grind off the back of the gear to clear the four bolts that attach the motor to the frame, the diameter of the new gear hub is larger and won't fit without grinding it off. Took 10 minutes.
Remember to get a 1/2 link for your chain as you will need it because just adding a couple of links doesn't work, at least on my machine, due to the finite amount of chain adjustment.

Another result: you can't reach one of the bolts with the larger gear, so buy a 9/16" crowfoot socket wrench and replace the one allen head bolt with a regular 3/8-16 x 1-1/4" grade 5 bolt like the others and you're good to go. The crowfoot actually makes tightening the other three bolts a breeze. Why didn't I buy one a long time ago!!!

The ground speed is now 76 ft. per minute at full throttle. Noticeable increase, but not great. You could put a slightly larger gear on, but would have to increase the amount of grinding to clear the bolts.

I forgot to get the hydaulic pump 3.5" pully and belt from McGuire while I was there, next time.

Stumper63

What a Difference!

Just made the change to a 3.5" (actually a 3.45") sheave on the hydraulic pump. Amazing difference. The pump whines just a little bit under full throttle and full load, but not bad.

In my last post I noted that when I changed the ground drive hydraulic motor from a 16 tooth to a 20 tooth my ground speed went up to 76 ft./min. Now with the smaller sheave on the hydraulic motor it went up to 120 ft./min., that's 1.3 mph. I wish I would have checked the speed before I made any changes, but it's at least twice as fast as before.

If you use the 3.5" sheave you will need the 4L260 belt. The 4L250 that works with the 3" sheave is too short.

Can't wait to give her a try tomorrow. Thanks to all who suggested the change.

Now all that's left is to change to the 35hp Briggs Vanguard engine, then will have one rockin little stumper! Not sure when that will happen. Just checked the compression on the little 25hp Kohler. It's 145 in both cylinders. Seems like she may go over 4000 hours if I don't change her out before then.

Stumper63

252 Stock Ground Speed

Anyone out there willing to do a little test? Before making the mod's on my 252 I forgot to check the ground speed in stock form. Would someone with the stock setup be willing to do it so we know in real numbers what the improvements are? All you need to do is measure how far the machine moves at full throttle for 15 seconds, then multiply by four for ft./min. It won't be far, probably about 15 feet I'm guessing.

I couldn't find any info from Vermeer that had the ground speed for the 252.

Thanks!

Stumper63

I couldn't find any info from Vermeer that had the ground speed for the 252.

Thanks!

Stumper63

That's because it's soooo slow they are ashamed to post the actual speed. lol

That's one thing I sure don't miss about my old Rayco 1625 I used to have. It took forever to get around to the back yard.

On a side note for comparison, my Carlton 7015 has a listed max ground speed of 3 mph. Weeeee!!!

First day with the speedy machine. If you use a 252 do the hydraulic sheave conversion tomorrow! Worth the $45 bucks and 20 minutes to install a thousand times over.

Stumper63

Hey Stumper63 that is awesome, just one more time though where do you order the parts and what do I ask for when buying them for this conversion, thanks

I wonder if this mod will work on the Rayco 1625 Jr? Seems to me the 252 and 1625 drive motors are about the same. Anyone tried it?

Hey Treecycle,

Can you check out your ground speed for us all before you do any conversion? Just measure how far it goes at full throttle in 15 seconds and then multiply by 4 for ft./min. Thanks!

Go to page 4 of this thread, the post from ApexTreeService has the info on the 3" sheave. I went with the 3.5" hoping to not get the pump spinning too fast yet still increasing the speed a lot. If you read the whole thread Plyscamp and others have used the 3" without any problems, but some said their pumps whined a lot with it. Anyway, mine has a noticeable whine to it now at full throttle under full load, but it's not bad at all, plus my pump has 3700+ hours on it, I think the bearings may be getting tired anyway as it feels a little rough when turning the pump by hand.

If you go with the 3.5" you will need a 4L260 belt and the sheave is a AK34H. We have a McGuire Bearing in Portland, you probably have one in Seattle too.

You won't regret the conversion!

Stumper63

Stumper63: I have bone-stock 252 w/Kohler 25... I'll measure my G/spd....but it's the monsoon season here...rain/snow for the last two weeks...and more wet-stuff predicted for next week...my grinder trailer is in kneedeep mud!!!

I still have my 3" pump conversion stuff...but as stated in my earlier post (Page 5 # 63),I put it on and my pump wasn't just noisy...it set up an earsplitting howl !!! ....I took all the conversion stuff off & went back to stock..
I did like the faster g/speed though.... and my drive motor sprocket is about worn out (16T) so I may change to a 20T....Anybody got any numbers on that 20T sprocket???

My plan is to get the ground speed up and the sling a new Kohler 31 or 35 on ...should make a real hot-rod grinder...then theres always Nitrous...!!!

Last edited:
Nick

I am new at this posting thing. I just have 1 question. I just bought a new sc252 vermeer stump cutter with the operators presence feature on it. I have 26 hrs on it and the operators presence has failed and went out twice already. I have had it serviced under the warranty twice. But when this warranty thing is up i don't want to get stuck with the bill. Any answers?

I am new at this posting thing. I just have 1 question. I just bought a new sc252 vermeer stump cutter with the operators presence feature on it. I have 26 hrs on it and the operators presence has failed and went out twice already. I have had it serviced under the warranty twice. But when this warranty thing is up i don't want to get stuck with the bill. Any answers?

Disable it? :greenchainsaw:

Stumper 63 only took 3,700 hours to start turning your grinder into a production machine instead of a Vermeer. Now get your engine and you wont have time to knap at the controls LOL.

Plyscamp,

Okay, okay, okay,......I'm kind of used to the naps, but oh well, that's why they call it work I guess.

Weather's been so nice here things really have taken off. How's it going down in SD, dried out yet? Hopefully.

Stumper63

Warranty

Be careful of Vermeer warranties. The customer is always forgotten when it comes to money. We will never buy another Vermeer machine. Am buying Bandit from now on because of their commitment to the product they manufacture.

Weather has been good in So Cal since the storms. Business is picking up and starting to look more like 2007. Off topic but I just converted the SC505 to the Multi Tip Wheel. A 44" wet Torrey Pine took a grand total of 9 minutes. Gotta love it.

Last edited:
2004 SC 252 bone stock data with autosleep disabled

I did some tests with a hand held digital laser tach for baseline data b4 making any mods to the machine.

Engine running at WOT cutter wheel clutch off:

Engine- 3650 rpm
Hydraulic pulley-2400 rpm
Drive wheel shaft-17 rpm

Engine running at WOT with cutter wheel clutch engaged:

Engine- 3520 rpm
Hydraulic pulley- 2220 rpm
Jackshaft- 2120 rpm
Cutter head shaft- 1090 rpm

been watching this thread for awhile, and thought I'd contribute this data.
might help some, might not.

Made the sprocket swap to an 18 tooth, and increased the drive shaft rpm up to 20.5 rpm. 1/2 link was not required, and you can still get at the SHCS (allen bolt) with a bondus allen wrench.

----------soon to change the hydro pump pulley-----

Has anyone changed the upper belt pulley for higher cutter speed?

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread, and i have watched it for a long time.
My conclusion is this: The best upgrade you could make if you have this machine, is to sell it, and buy a different brand of stump grinder. A Carlton machine, would be your best choice, from my experience. However, almost any other brand commonly available would be better than these Vermeers.
Jeff

I changed the ratio on my old Rayco Super JR along time ago(before I sold it.) Rayco had changed the ratio on their new machines at the time.

I slowed mine down. This increases the torque. I found that with higher head speeds it would cut like mad with sharp teeth, but the minute they get dull at all the power went away really quickly.

With a slower speed and more torque I find the machine is not as sensitive to the sharpness of the teeth. It still prefers sharp teeth and is more efficient with them, but a little dullness doesn't completely kill it.

Latest posts

Back