Little Johnny and his Carrot Top Big Brother

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Couple of boxes arrived in the mail today, new fixer uppers- although at first glance there appears to be very little to fix!
Jonsered 2137 (I know, I know- the little Jonny everyone loves to hate Red Poulan, Red Wildthing bla bla bla) and a Husqvarna 350.

H&J 1.jpgH&J 2.jpgH&J 3.jpgH&J 4.jpg

The 350 came with the GB Pro bar that can be seen in the foreground of the last photo- may or may not be savable.
It also had a chain that looks okay.

All up I still have change out of US$55. :D

Both turn over just fine and appear to have good compression off the rope.
Mufflers off- might tell a different story, but hey you never know.
HuskyBill and I can compare notes now! Seeing as how I cannot find a fixer upper 2100............

Couple of boxes arrived in the mail today, new fixer uppers- although at first glance there appears to be very little to fix!
Jonsered 2137 (I know, I know- the little Jonny everyone loves to hate Red Poulan, Red Wildthing bla bla bla) and a Husqvarna 350.

View attachment 805524View attachment 805525View attachment 805526View attachment 805527

The 350 came with the GB Pro bar that can be seen in the foreground of the last photo- may or may not be savable.
It also had a chain that looks okay.

All up I still have change out of US$55. :D

Both turn over just fine and appear to have good compression off the rope.
Mufflers off- might tell a different story, but hey you never know.
HuskyBill and I can compare notes now! Seeing as how I cannot find a fixer upper 2100............
the 350 looks to be the early model-49cc as I recall. My alltime go to saw for smaller jobs. Not as strong as some, but easy start and never a problem. Mine came to me low on compression. Replaced the dished in top piston with a flat top and some minor mods. I ended up giving it to a friend that was having trouble starting his old ones. It did all he asked of it on his farm, and always started easy.
Well worth what you paid for both. They all have their place.

the 350 looks to be the early model-49cc as I recall. My alltime go to saw for smaller jobs. Not as strong as some, but easy start and never a problem. Mine came to me low on compression. Replaced the dished in top piston with a flat top and some minor mods. I ended up giving it to a friend that was having trouble starting his old ones. It did all he asked of it on his farm, and always started easy.
Well worth what you paid for both. They all have their place.

Tell you the truth- I just pulled it near to bits and never even bothered to read the tag for an age number!
But can confirm it is a pre purge/primer bubble 44mm saw with the flat top piston (although currently "domed"with carbon!
Have run a couple before, fixed up and worked on a few- but never owned one......... until now.

Well, the 2137 starts and runs- not great or maybe not even what might be considered well....... but it runs.
The 350- I did get it to pop a couple of times on full choke, but was warned it might have "carb issues".
Removed the top cover and a couple of obvious faults jumped out- kill switch wires were back to front and the one that should be on the top tab was floating and the one that should be sitting in the red plastic lever was in the first position. Choke lever was floating and not even in contact with the rod arm. Both easy fixes- but neither helped.
Someone had been trying to remove the muffler and rounded out the hex socket on one stud, removed with grip pliers- exhaust port near blocked with carbon...... wonder what the spark screen looks like. Screen removed and carbon out of port, saw still doesn't want to run- so I guess maybe the carb does have issues! Mix screws were not far off factory.
Pulled the cylinder- apart from carbon build up on the top of the piston- remarkably good interior, bottom end "looks and feels" good, but not been that deep yet.

My best guess is it is a typical larger Kiwi homeowner saw, been used to cut firewood galore no doubt, been run on say 25ish-1 carboned up the spark arrestor screen to the point of blocking it completely and the good old Kiwi attitude of "not paying any expensive shop tech to look at it- I can fix it myself" came in to play. Seen it a hundred times before, pull things apart- not sure how they go back together and all the while not a clue what they are doing. Had the fuel mix been better and the screen pulled at least once and a while, burned off and replaced...... last owner might still be enjoying a good saw.

Probably ran too rich with cheap oil. Looks like a nice project saw though. What is on the handle? Sap?

Pretty typical over here as I said above.
Scenario: Every breathing male in NZ thinks they need at least one saw- but they do not need an instruction manual to go with it! They lust after pro saws- but new pro saws are WAY expensive here.
So they buy the bigger CC homeowner saws for the feel good factor and run them in a manner that is not quite ideal. They do not need to shell out for that expensive oil to add to the already expensive gasoline, the cheap stuff will do- just add a splash more of it.
Probably a testament to Husqvarna and Stihl build quality really, as their plastic saws can be bought new and last a few decades of mistreated use and near zero maintenance for maybe 20 hours a year, before simple things stop them from running.

Yep, looks like just sap- grime and filth all mushed up together aerosol penetrating oil takes it off.
About the only non original part I can find on the entire saw is the self tapping screw used to replace the roll pin holding the operator presence lever into the dirty handle.

I like how this gets to be an oil thread!
Would you not agree that type and ratio of said offensive debated liquid might have had something to do with the state of that spark arrestor screen?

Will move it away from the combustion side shortly- more photos to come. ;)

The air filter looks new on this 350- probably replaces as an elimination cure hope.
Yah so did the one on the 346. It was even a mesh filter. Went through the saw and cleaned everything up. Put it back together, the thing ran like ass. It stumped me for a minute. Pulled the filter and off she went!

Where's the pump diaphragm?

Possibly on the garage floor of the previous owner? :rolleyes:
Honestly- I could not tell you if they came with the 195 fitted from factory over here, will endeavour to find out.
Do have a spare OEM for the 2159 sitting here somewhere.........

Back