Little ship's stove resurrection.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprig

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Poor little thing had been badly abused, the previous owners tried to burn coal and Presto logs and melted the inner steel lining out, GAH! Bud brought it over a while ago and it has been in pieces since last summer, we finally got to cut up some old PC casings with the handy side-grinder and re-do the lining, worked well and about the same gauge of steel, this first pic is its first fire in several years, burnin' off the PC paint :)
attachment.php

Bad pic of me enjoying the fruits of our labor :) This will be mounted on/in a wooden sailing boat and we're thinking of using antique fireplace tiles for the heat shield, pipe is only gonna be about two feet long, thinkin' nice 4" double wall stainless, we'll see, hm, dunno yet, but she pumps out the heat and should be more than adequate fir a 40ft boat, a nice wee stove imho made by Dickenson's.....no coal agin ever lol, have a big chunk of old maple that I'll cookie up fer them and it should keep them going for a bit (it takes like, um, 4" lengths lol, wonder what I should charge for a cord? :chainsaw:
attachment.php

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
Hey Serge, great lookin lil stove!

That should do well in a 40'er if not roast you out. What kind of temps will you be using it at?

We're lucky if it goes more'n -10F (-30+ wind-chillins once in a while) in the winters here but its a moisture thing too RBW, especially on the water. Little stove should be more than enough for Keeha (da boat) and I'm sure the hatches will be open lots till they get it dialed in :D We do have concerns with the mounting of it as the craft, though protected by a storm dock, does tend ta rock 'n' roll in a good sou'easter. This unit will only be used in the winter, and will have a removable chimney stack, all the sails are unhanked and stored and we are only worried about cooking the mast (spruce burns really well lol) so the chimney will have a vaned opening I think (it will swivel with the wind like a windvane), if I get me way, so that the opening will always point away from the wind. Many things to consider on a boat, not like a house but same same kinda.

:cheers:

Back