Live Oak Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Lizard

Reaction score
I live in West Texas and have a 50 year old twin trunk Live Oak in my front yard. It has grown into the front of my house and I do not want to cut the limb in question as it is approximately 10" in diameter. I have tried to tie it back by using a cable wrapped around the limb and then tied back to an opposing limb. This of course has failed! I was wondering if drilling a hole through the two limbs and placing long Eye bolts and a cable between them would work? Or will it cause some kind of systemic problem? Regular steel bolts or galvanized Bolts?
I would really appreciate any help!

pics work wonders, it's hard to see what you're talking about from here

Thanks for getting back to me!! Pics can come tomorrow. For further clarification the limb in question is running almost horizontal with the ground about 20 feet from the ground. Just as it approaches the house it turns slightly but still is hitting the fascia of the house when the wind blows and it blows here ALL the time! I would much rather restrain the limb mechanically than to remove it.

It would be nice to see a few pics of what the situation is exactly though,If the other limb is a weaker and smaller limb..then al you will be doing is pulling it towards the limb thats closest to the house and that is the opposite of what your intentions are.
So that is why a pic is important if that's possible.If you need help posting one we will be glad to tell you how that is done.

I would move the house, well, not the house, but the roof line could be moved back a little.
A couple hours of creative carpentry and you'd be back in business. The limb in question is so thick, it won't have much felxability.
I've seen homes notched out to leave room for trees many times. To me it shows respect for the tree, and nature, which makes the repair beautiful and intersting.
Most fools don't respect the tree, and just cut the limb off, begining the death of the tree. Then in years to come they have a huge expensive removal, all because they didn't understand tree biology, and took the short cut to solve the problem.
If reconfiguring the roof line is not an option, and you can pull the limb back, then cabling it may be the answer. It's certainly a better choice than removal.

Not real sure what you are trying to accomplish with the garden hose and chain/cable wrapped around the limb but the material should be removed it is choking the limb. Looks like the limb has grown into the roof area and if your intention was to pull it back, at this point forget it. Limb is to big to redirect with any amount of hardware. Redesign the roof or cut the limb look like only options from here. Good luck.

Yes that hose has caused bad problems; get it out NOW!

I pm'd you the # of a consulting arborist in your town. A tree that valuable deserves more than doityourself help.

The Best Management Practices for Cabling cost $5. www.isa-arbor.com Publications.

Latest posts

Back