Live Oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim-Marion

Reaction score
Just built a new house and have several live oaks on the property. They appear healthy but I noticed several of the limbs have bark coming loose and some of the bark has pink sections and some are light green. Is this normal? Also was curious how much soil should surround the base of the tree? A recent article in the local paper indicated 2 inches of soil above the roots can kill the tree.
Thanks

If you just built the house, it's a little late to work on tree preservation, but better late than never. Pink bark sounds a little strange--please post a picture.

re soil, most trees can tolerate 2" o fill just fine, if it is sandy/porous, not solid clay. Your trees probably have a good bit of value to your property; best to get a professional on site who can help you with a plan to build on that value instead of seeing it go as the trees decline.

Certified Arborists, and consumer tree info can be found at www.isa-arbor.com.

Guy's just 6.5 hours up the freeway (not counting potty stops) just have him come down to check them out.

Though the Southern chapter of the ISA might have one or two Consulting Arborists nearer.

Check out http://www.asca-consultants.org/ to find a Consulting Arborist near you. While an ISA Certified Arborist is likely to give you good advise, the ASCA members are more likely to give it unbiased by future work.

John Paul Sanborn said:
Guy's just 6.5 hours up the freeway (not counting potty stops) just have him come down to check them out.
That's a lot of driving time for someone to pay for (and it would not be me). I will, however, be passing by in June, if the poster wants to wait that long. At a minimum, the trees near the construction site should be mulched: www.treesaregood.com

Check out http://www.asca-consultants.org/ to find a Consulting Arborist near you. While an ISA Certified Arborist is likely to give you good advise, the ASCA members are more likely to give it unbiased by future work.
THere are a couple of good ones in Hilton Head. So JPS, unless your body is rejuvenated by your impending matrimony, you will probably be wanting to sell your opinions more and your climbing less. Why not try joining ASCA and going to their Academy?

It's in Atlanta next year, and TreeCo's yhere and he's got a big house, hint, hint. We might be able to drag him along too.

treeseer said:
So JPS, unless your body is rejuvenated by your impending matrimony, you will probably be wanting to sell your opinions more and your climbing less. Why not try joining ASCA and going to their Academy?

It's in Atlanta next year, and TreeCo's yhere and he's got a big house, hint, hint. We might be able to drag him along too.

I dont have enough cumulative points to get in the door, though I think Russ said I could still do the Acadamy for educations sake.

I tell myself every year I'll be doing it, if the money situation is right. Either it's too little and I cannot afford it, or to much and I cannot afford to leave :laugh: Besides the market is too thin here to do it on a regular basis.

John Paul Sanborn said:
I dont have enough cumulative points to get in the door, though I think Russ said I could still do the Acadamy for educations sake.
.. the market is too thin here to do it on a regular basis.
Have you :Eye: documented everything--workshops etc? Those add up, tho U courses and isa certification ceu's can add it up a lot quicker. :cool:

I went to the academy 8 years before I joined; very worthwhile on its own, for sure. You will hear about ways to thicken up that market, which you'll need if your body ages like mine--aching shoulders and 2 big trees to prune today. :cry:

Back