Lo Tech Redneck Handlebar for Echo CS340

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezvet

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a cute little Echo 340 that was slowly edging towards the spare parts shelf because I couldn't justify spending $40 to $70 for a new handlebar. So, for the second time, I fabricated a handle using CPVC tubing and fiberglass reinforced epoxy on the ends for mounting. The little buzzer is out humming again! IMG_20230807_094438434.jpgIMG_20230810_132617188_HDR.jpg The CPVC is stronger and more shock resistant than regular PVC tubing. It is also a little harder to work due to greater heat resistance. This handle will outlast the chainsaw and the foam grip reduces vibration a lot. Wondering if this is something new or old news for the pros. The first pic shows the 340 before, plus a CPVC length and the CPVC after forming and painting. The second pic is the finished product.

Nice fabrication, good bends on the cpvc. It will be interesting to see how the epoxy bonded to the cpvc, and how it holds up to vibration.
To answer your question from a pros perspective... time is money. I would imagine you have at least 3 or 4 hours invested in that build... at $150-$200 an hour, 4-600 bucks to make a 70 dollar part is not a very good business model...

Nice fabrication, good bends on the cpvc. It will be interesting to see how the epoxy bonded to the cpvc, and how it holds up to vibration.
To answer your question from a pros perspective... time is money. I would imagine you have at least 3 or 4 hours invested in that build... at $150-$200 an hour, 4-600 bucks to make a 70 dollar part is not a very good business model...
Absolutely correct on the money stuff. Being semi-retired, I like to spend time looking at alternatives. The inside of the tubing was scored/gouged with a file for additional 'tooth' for the epoxy. My first cpvc handle is still going strong as far as I know. Thanks for your perspective.

Absolutely correct on the money stuff. Being semi-retired, I like to spend time looking at alternatives. The inside of the tubing was scored/gouged with a file for additional 'tooth' for the epoxy. My first cpvc handle is still going strong as far as I know. Thanks for your perspective.
No, you did a really nice job, and I hope it holds up. Just from a pros perspective... I remember being in Bastrop after the fire in 2012... 6 man crew, crane, chipper and truck, log trailer, skid loader, probably 5-600k in equipment, and burning 250/hr in labor. Probably charging the customer 1500/hr. I'm not going up that tree with gear that is anything less than 100%, with full redundancy on the truck, and if my climbing saw so much as had starting issues, the spare came up, and I would deal with the primary on a rain day. It's just a different world.

No, you did a really nice job, and I hope it holds up. Just from a pros perspective... I remember being in Bastrop after the fire in 2012... 6 man crew, crane, chipper and truck, log trailer, skid loader, probably 5-600k in equipment, and burning 250/hr in labor. Probably charging the customer 1500/hr. I'm not going up that tree with gear that is anything less than 100%, with full redundancy on the truck, and if my climbing saw so much as had starting issues, the spare came up, and I would deal with the primary on a rain day. It's just a different world.
Yeah, we are in two different worlds; I'm from a backwoods, make-it-work environment. Safe innovation can sometimes be the difference between steak and leftovers. Thanks for your thoughts.

Back