Loading Ramps (Spring Loaded)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the area that I was talking about adding weight to, to cause the stop to lower back down after the log had rolled past it.View attachment 52905

Dusty, not a bad idea...I'd want those things to come up with authority though...might require more weight than I'd have room for?

attachment.php

Woodshop, when you get back from milling, I have a question for you; your blocks that you use on the horses and on the jack; I think you said they are black locust, but you have some sort of metal spear-point embedded in there to bite into the log, right?? I tried to look back through old posts but maybe I didn't look far enough. Good luck milling.
The homeowner and I managed to slice that oak butt log into 375 bd ft of boards today, about a third of them quartersawn. Had to make two trips since there was almost 2000 lbs of just boards, plus about 200 lbs of saws and mills etc. (I only have an Astro minivan). Got pics... kinda beat, will post a few tomorrow along with pic of that ramp I was talking about. Aquinator, those chock blocks you ask about have a piece of angle iron on the top edge, mostly to prevent wear of the wooden blocks where they contack the logs. Couple good closeup pics are in this thread.

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=37392&highlight=woodshop+horses

Last edited:
Hey Rob, is that an iron stain on the end of those logs? That should make for some nervous milling....

Nope, i didn't hit any trash in any of those logs... I still have a few short ones around waiting to be sawn into stickers though..

Rob

Well, I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification! I guess I was just picturing the post you had on that large white oak you cut up. Can you post some pics of those ramps?

Wasn't correcting... just letting folks know there are other ways to get that jack under logs less than 24 inches. Here is that ramp I was talking about... I roll one end of the log up onto the ramp. I designed a slight dip in the top where the log sits so once you get it there, it won't roll off. That gets the log up off the ground enough to get the jack under. Jack up one end of log, slide first horse under... jack up other end and slide other horse under. It's now up off the ground, and your back and knees will thank you if not now, years down the road.:cheers:
ramp1.jpg

ramp2.jpg

Dusty, not a bad idea...I'd want those things to come up with authority though...might require more weight than I'd have room for?

attachment.php

You wouldnt need to add weight if you move your pivot point closer to the end you want agaisnt the log. It would accomplish the same thing as adding weight, without having to do so. It would also allow you to not need springs.

You can also eliminate the stops as your teeth will stop on ther own once they bottom out in the beam. As long as your pivot is stout enough to handle the load.

You might want to rethink the H-beam. Getting a piece light enough that you can move by hand will not give you much room between the top, bottom plates and web.

Do you have a weight limit??? That will determine what you can build and if what you want can take what you want to do to it.

EDIT: Just had an idea.

Keep your H beam, but everywhere you want to place a stop, notch a hole in the web that will allow the tooth to go deeper in the beam. This will allow you to make a longer tooth, and keep more weight on the end you want to fall down. You wont lose any strength doing so as the top and bottom plate carry about 90% of the load.

Last edited:
Hey Casey, yeah, I was beginning to think that weight would be an issue as well.

Ya know, I think this is another classic example of using other people's experience. Woodshop has thought this through a lot, and if there was a much faster way on a budget, he'd most likely be doing it that way. I know his humble spirit would make him the first to say that just because he does it one way, doesn't mean its the only way. But the more I think about this situation I realize that he's got it pretty well figured out.

I'll tackle this project later...for now, I need to get out and get a better floor jack!

Thanks for the insight everyone!

Oh, and by the way, be careful going on the Wood-Mizer website...I find myself strangely drawn to it. I tried to resist, but I had to call and request information. Yesterday I opened the mail to find a full product line video with a complimentary bag of popcorn in there...I'm in trouble...:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back