Local ad you guys have to see this one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shaun is right. I too, would rather have 1 guy like this homeowner, than 100 wanna be's. At least the homeowner thinks things through before going off half cocked. It looks like this time, he still made a mistake. That happens. We learn, and go on. Heck, I would be happy if I could limit myself to just ONE mistake per day!

it not bad habits its called a learning curve regarding the welder. Its the skill, not the equipment that makes the man. The equipment just make thing more efficient.

it would still bother me whether he spent 500 or 5000 it just doesn't make sense to me start small and then buy more as you learn

i guess it just more the principle

It seem more like he bought few pre made kits from sherrilltree

You either have it or you dont sounds about right to me. We still make our own pruners out of wood and have the old school Fred Marvin pruner heads that my grandpa used starting out in the mid 60s. New equipment dosent make you a pro, it makes things easier for sure. I would go back in time any day and go back to the old school days of tree work rather than the modern worlds industry. More technology just allows more people to be able to do the same things we do by pushing buttons and not needing much skill or knowladge. Anyways im a do it yourselfer person so i understand why the guy went and tried to be a treeman, we all make mistakes some bigger than others.

Well guys. I am for sure not in commercial tree care and for dam sure not a climber. I cut a ton of firewood though.

I get asked all the time to come and do tree work for people. They don't understand the difference in a tree service pro and a firewood cutter.

I tell them leave it to the pro's. Just because I cut firewood doesn't mean I can do tree work and removal.

Just from my simple experience cutting firewood and felling trees the wrong way I know I couldn't do tree service. You guys have to work too hard!!!

Yeah it an Led Zeplin album I think my parents had a copy. I personally like YES and Procal Harum but to each his own

No, I can see fine. If you had used the word 'picture' in your post, we would have had some idea what you were talking about. You seem to still be dropping words that would make it easier to comprehend what you are trying to say. Until you start paying some attention to what you are writing, you can expect folks to ask " What does that mean, in English?"

So I came across this guy try to sell a bunch of climbing gear the story is so ridiculous he could have hired someone for less. How could he be so stupid to think he could just do what we take years to learn

When will people Learn to just leave the dangerous stuff to the pros....

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/bfs/4367054184.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141235431033?nav=SEARCH
Its just the the lack of judgement that scares me more then anything that someone would just buy all that gear with little or no knowledge when he could have just hired a professional to do the tree work properly

I mean weigh the options here

Option 1
You purchase $3000 worth of gear
You take an extremely High risk of getting injured or dying. Doing your own tree work and maybe some work for a few neighbors once you get good ( and this is assuming he never gets hurt) And If he he does get hurt he will want his homeowner insurance to cover his bills

Options 2
He gets a few estimates from local reputable, properly insure and trained Tree services take the middle estimate of let's a 2000-3000 dollar in tree work to a professional with the proper equipment and training and it get done in a timely mater with little to no risk to him or his property of which he would be covered if something actually happen

I just don't see what this guy sawe as doing himself a favor it's cost him more money more time more risk and then he realizes that he is now in over his head

He actually took a few steps back from accomplishing anything other then throwing money down the drain

I think you are just jealous, you wish you had his gear.
Seem's like you think every new guy should start out harder than you,, let go man,,
Jeff

That was entered in the "Jersey Shore" Craigslist. Enough said. Someone is probably going to hunt me down and kill me for that comment.

This particular forum is for professional tree workers. You might find a better reception in arborist 101.

As an aside, there is no standard entry into the industry for a climber. Professional climbers come from a diverse background and have entered via many different pathways. There is as yet not a standard climbing school and ticket to become a qualified climber. The climbers on this forum came to the industry via unusual methods in some cases. Some started at the bottom and worked up, many were self taught and now teach others. Some came to it via other roped disciplines, some started out with just a saw and learnt along the way. Some were there to see it all evolve, and got into it before synthetic cordage was around.

I've taught a few climbers myself, and the best ones just can't be taught. You can't teach a leader. I've had plenty of groundies come through, expecting me to pay their way and make it all happen for them to become a climber, but the ones I took on were mainly the ones that showed initiative ie learning for themselves, buying their own gear, buying instructional materials and studying in the own time - basically just like your 'idiot'. I'd take 1 of him over 100 guys waiting to be shown any day of the week.

In my opinion you were either born with it or you weren't. If you were, you'll get there no matter the path. If you weren't, no amount of tutelage will bridge that vast gap. You can get some assistance, but at some point you'll have to take the lead because nobody can be up there with you all the time, helping you make those decisions. Real climbers rarely ask "what should I do now?". From a very early point, they are problem solvers... looking at the situation for themselves, thinking what's going to happen next. For better or worse, most of the best climbers I've ever met chose to make their own decisions well before they were ready, and figured it out for themselves. Most come back with questions, but they're questions of value because they come from need and experience. And again, there's a whole bunch of wisdom and no shame whatsoever in realizing at any point along the way that this just isn't for you.
Awesome post brutha

Know I just think it's foolish to blow money I an advanced set of tool if you have no clue how to use them properly.

I have tons of snap on tools but I didn't buy them and then become a mechanic I had mechanical abilities and purchase them as I need more advanced tools for each job I have done

Just like I didn't start welding with a 5000 dollar miller I started with a 500 dollar Lincoln from Home Depot and upgrade as I got more skills
Dude, really, check your post. It may not be a writing forum, but a lot of writing......is what makes it........... a forum.

I wen bac an red dis hole thing aggin. The most honest ting the OPp said. " im not professal". maybe when gets out kindergarten he learn rite.

Just for the pure hell of it,I used the location thing from his ad and went on Google earth. If the indicator is correct ,looks lik he has quite few trees on his property. I'm guessing the 2story house on the north side of the street?

Back