Locust glows!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A co-worker didn't believe me that scorpions glow inder UV light, so I went out last night to the wood pile to catch one (they're are commonly found there) with my LED UV flashlight. Noticed the pile of saw chips was glowing bright green. Hmmm, bar oil florescent? Nope, the other pile doesn't glow. Got to stacked Locust and sure enough, the heartwood glows bright green!

Is this useful in any way, unlikely, unless it's dark and you're scrounging through your woodpile in search of Locust pieces and all you have is your UV flashlight.

Plants and trees contain chlorophyll ,this make the plants grow and stuff .make a searth on wikipedia.I remember this name from school.

So far the only organic things I've seen flouresce are certain fungi. I've spent a lot of time out in my wooded yard with my UV flashlight. So chlorophyl isn't the glowing agent.

BTW, I was told this wood was Locust, but not sure which type. Silvery bark, greenish heartwood, thorns on new growth, dense as heck, and thickets of seedlings sprouting all around the trees.

the stripes on a baby alligator glow also, i used to have an alligator in my younger day. i think i had him for 3 years, well i had 2 the first one was too damn mean. not that any alligators are nice. but reptiles are like people some are just A**holes. the 2nd gator was much better to handle.

Scorpions in the wood pile?!?!?! You might want to wear gloves when getting wood. I had to shovel a path to my wood pile.

Latest posts

Back