log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dad2_5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought and installed a wood burning furnace in my house. I now need to spend my spare time cutting and splitting between 6 and 8 full cords of hardwood each year to season down for the next winter. My question is this: Does anyone out there have a recommendation for me as to what brand and specs I should consider when buying a gas powered log splitter?:confused:

Lots of firewood guys on the Chainsaw forum. You might get better info there, since a good portion of them don't even recognize that the other forums exist on this site. :p

High volume hydraulic tank
2 stage pump
high tonnage ram

If your just splitting for yourself,one that operates Horizontaly or verticaly is good. If you plan on doing more wood, selling to the neighbors, then maybe small high volume unit would be better.

For around $5k I like the Faver Rex junior, I picked it out for the country club I worked for just before they canned me. I recently called them asking what they think, and the Super said his guys love it.
TITLE2.jpg

I have not yet tried to work out some sort of promotional deal with them, but may try ;)

With a good furnace I would not expect to burn a very high volume of wood. For personal use there is a lot to be said for handsplitting. If you want hydraulics then just about any will work for a small volume of wood. If you want production it sounds like JPS is steering you right.:) Brian is right about the chainsaw forum.

Latest posts

Back