LOGGING TECH on History Channel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1953greg

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
LOGGING TECH tonite (wed) on History Channel 9p central.

probably a rerun but always fascinating.

good day 1953greg

Is this the show with Scott and Robbie Melcher of Oregon??
They're working here in Sisters right now.
They run a quality operation.

I watched the show last night. They interviewed the Melcher brothers and showed quite a bit of their operation. If those guys weren't loggers they look like they could be NFL players; big dudes.

One of them said his record with the timberjack was 1250 trees in one day and his one hour record was something like 175 trees. They showed a computerized saw mill that processes 4000 trees a day. Those gang rip saws are cool. A mill foreman claimed that their bandsaws have a kerf less than .125". Actually, the way he said it was that it was significantly less than half the old bandsaws that had a .250" kerf.

It was a good look at an industry that I think most Americans take for granted. It seems almost like the meat processing industry; people just don't want to know what it takes to get a 2 x 10 or a pack of hamburger.

I still think the craziest guys in the old times were the river rats; the guys that drove the logs downstream. Totally nuts to see them running around on the logs.

Latest posts

Back