Logs, logs and more logs !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
English Oak

English Oak

ArboristSite Member
Hello everyone. I thought I'd share with you, if your all like I am, then you like some juicy wood pictures. Something Me and my friend Ian have been working on in the last month. There was some quite bad storms that hit the uk in march and a great many trees came down in a local national trust park. My friend owns a woodmiser bandsaw mill, so with his help we set about cutting these for fencing for the park and are fees were covered in timber.
There's loads of pictures so I'll try and post them as quick as possible and if they are too small let me know. Its a mixture of woods, mostly sweet chessnut and oak but also, silver birch, acaia, beech ,alder, yew and elm.

Enjoy
Tom

p.s I'm not sure how to put the images on the page without a link?

Last edited:
charlieh

charlieh

ArboristSite Operative
another local

Hey Tom,

glad to hear that you did something useful with all that timber, which national trust estate was it? was it Calke Abbey, keep meaning to go for a walk around there to look at the vetran trees in the parkland.

Its a shame about some of the other tree work that has been done in places round here, i have seen some of the Ravine woodlife work, which whilst from a conservation view point is good to remove sycamores but to leave hundreds of trees on the ground to rot does seem a bit of a waste.

Charlie

English Oak

English Oak

ArboristSite Member
Fellow english man

Hello charlie, nice to see someone local on this site who's interested in CSM-ing. My parents live in Staffordshire, just outside of stoke as a matter of fact.

The place where I'm doing all the cutting is happening in rufford and clumber park, up the M1 near nottingham, real robin hood woodland.

Do you know of anyone who needs any planked timber in the midlands, because we have more that is needed and I'm trying to sell some of it off?

Tom

English Oak

English Oak

ArboristSite Member
Also there a big problem with sycamore's around here and there getting ripped out every where. I actually like to use sycamore in my furniture, even if it does have grey staining from disease.

The local council just wants to leave any felled trees on the ground for "beetle banks". I've tried to get hold of some for milling, but its really hard, because they don't really understand what a waste it is, shame.
Tom

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=53686&stc=1&d=1183406617

Last edited:
charlieh

charlieh

ArboristSite Operative
Hmm its a shame i'm not further on with on with sorting a house, my fiancee and I are are going to have an oak timberframed house put up (hopefully!) and i want to try and source as much material as possible locally. If it all gets the go ahead, it will be heated with wood burners with back boilers, and have a woodburning aga for cooking on.

The sycamore really annoys me at the moment, i know where there are several trunks 2-3ft in diameter in 10ft lengths on the side of a hard path in the dales, which would be so easy to extract with a CSM, I might have to contact the landowners an see if they would let me have it, as i know i can get there with my atv and trailer. I think the main problem round here is landowners saying its not viable to get the timber, which if you were selling it commertially it wouldn't be but i would pay a small fee for a couple of trailer fulls of decent timber.

I bet thats some nice woodland up round where you were milling, i havent yet seen a woodmizer mill in action, i feel that it would make me not want to use a CSM again once i have though!!

Charlie

English Oak

English Oak

ArboristSite Member
Yes it is true. I've been using a CSM for about 8 months now and I am enjoying it alot,But the woodmizer is a whole new world.It just rips through logs with ease,Its a sight to behold. At first this did put me off CSM-ing but after Ian said they cost 40 grand the CSM started to make more sense.

I now use my CSM for milling one off pieces and logs that are out in the middle of nowhere, where no bandsaw would be able to go.

Plus I am a wood collector by nature and have far to much trimber as it is, so if I owned a bandsaw mill my workshop would be full and I'd never make any work.

Tom

p.s If you need any help with milling let me know.

Last edited:
Ianab

Ianab

ArboristSite Operative
Charlie

Have you looked at swingblade sawmills? (Peterson or Lucas)
I can transport mine on a trailer behind an ATV and they handle bigger logs and arguably saw faster than a woodmiser.

Designed for getting at those big logs in remote, or even urban, places where it's just not practical to go with heavy machinery.

Going to cost more than a chainsaw mill, but you get a commecial production machine much cheaper and portable than a Woodmizer ;)

Cheers

Ian

oldsaw

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
That's a load!!!

I did something similar with oak and walnut in my wife's mini-van...you know, nicely upholstered in the inside, she wasn't impressed. Me, on the other hand, was really impressed with the amount of lumber I hauled out that day. :hmm3grin2orange:

Nice work.

My brother just got back a couple of months ago from a fairly long stint in Nottingham. He works for Boeing and they were working on some kind of certification thing. Was there for a month and a half or more. Really liked the town and the people.

I was over in Cambridge, London, and Sirencester about 4-5 years ago. Unfortunately, not much time for sightseeing on my own. It was a working trip.

Mark

woodshop

woodshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
WOW... my mouth waters... look at all that heartwood in log4... log12 turns me on for some reason. Looks interesting. What you need is a full blown pull behind your truck/car bandsaw and couple weeks off work to play.

Latest posts