loler inspecters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.P

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi all, i need my climbing and rigging gear loler inspected and marked for the first time how do i contact my nearest loler inspecter?? I'm in Sheffield,thanks mat

Hi,
Put a post like this on the 'Brit's talking about Brit's stuff' thread on the commercial tree care and climbing forum.
I'm loler qualified but I'm in Bermuda so can't help you! NPTC might have a register, try their website???

BTW: to get ahead of the game and save some $$, start by coming up with your own system of marking, make sure every item has a unique number, collect together all your reciepts and certificates of conformities, make sure all your kit has CE marks or is traceable to CE marked product (like prussik loops).

For instance your ID numbers might run something like MP001, MP002 etc.
If you have a computer you can create your own inspection sheet for each item, ID#, description, origin, serial #, CE mark, SWL, MBS, date of purchase, date of installation, then spaces for your 6/12 month inspections and results. Clip your receipts, cert of conf to the inspection sheets.

Good luck and stay on top of the game!

Last edited:
Loler refers to the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations in the UK.

Under Loler 1999 Arborist equipment is regarded as lifting equipment and as such is subject to inspection for complience and safety by a competent person capable of rendering an independent decision to remove any bit of gear from use if it doesn't pass inspection. Any piece of equipment that is involved in climbing operations, and is used to suspend a person is subject to an inspection every six months, anything used for rigging must be inspected every twelve months.

So there is a course and an exam you take to become an inspector and then you can set up a sideline and charge $$ to check kit. Some people call it jobs for the boys. But it also puts a huge onus on the inspector to be careful because if they OK a piece of kit and something goes wrong, well...do the math!

Each operator is supposed carry out and log their own weekly inspections. Thats stuff any self respecting arb would do each and every time they climb anyway.

If an HSE inspector happens by your worksite and asks for your loler records, you'd better have them, also if there is an incident or accident those records better be up to scratch as well.

I did the course two years ago, hoping to put it to use over here, so far all I've done is Ok my own kit, We do not have anywhere near the H&S regulations of either the UK or the US, but as I teach I wanted to have that extra margin of safety when it comes to students. I actually find it useful to track my kit, I know where and when each bit comes from and there are dates and records of anything thats been done to it.

That's it in a nutshell:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back