long leaf pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHARON

Reaction score
Hi,
I am coming to Florida on vacation next week and I have a question.....Where can I pick up dead long pine needles? I am landing in Fort Lauderdale and going to the Palm Beach area. I teach people how to do pine needle basketry and would love to obtain some needles for my projects.

I would really appreciate a response.
Thank you,
Sharon Elliott

I don't have first hand knowledge , but they sell pine needles there like they do mulch here(NE) Maybe do a search on the internet for mulch or needles , they call it pine straw, before you go. Should be able to find a nursery that sells it or just find a tree in someones yard and offer to clean them up for some needles.:)

I found these people at a trade show last year, they seemed real nice, but are wholesalers they might be able to answer your questions and direct to somebody that sells retail
Standridge Baled Pine Straw
4150 NW 50th Ave
Chiefland , Fl 32626
352-493-9085

Last edited:
The pinestraw that is sold in bales is usually dry and brittle.Keep your eyes open while you go about your day,if you spot some on the ground in a yard stop and ask.That is how we do it in the south,Ft. Lauderdale is not that southern so be carefull:D And if you are flying back a bale of pinestraw,now there something you don't see everyday.Good luck!

I agree with Todd's suggestion. While you are going about, keep your eyes open. You are likely to spot lots of Slash Pines on subdivision common property or undeveloped lots. Just stop and fill up a garbage bag or two. That might be easier than knocking on stranger's doors, if you are shy about doing that. No reason to pay good money for them if you are willing to excercise some muscles for a couple minutes. :)

An please pick prune side shoots form several trees. Pines are radial growers and removin all the buds from a branch will eventualy cause that branch to be shed. (die.)

In other words, pines will usualy not bud out from "old wood".

Latest posts

Back