Longleaf pine tree problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nawlils

Reaction score
I live in central Nc, and Longleaf pine trees are quite common here. I have several in my yard and I have one that although it seems healthy (no discoloration of needles) there is what looks to be a cavity on one side of the base of the tree that is being eaten away by something. the area is very sappy, and there is a definate cavity where this area is opposed to the rest of the tree. I am attatching a picture to this message with a view of the area in question. I have no problem calling an arborist, but I have heard some negative things about several in my area (wanting to charge a lot of money to cut a tree down with no options of saving the tree. please email at [email protected] with any help. thanks :)

Lori

It looks like an old impact wound. The pine is trying to compartmentalize it, but it looks like a major wound.
If you have a good thick layer of live wood, the tree will probably stand a long time. Even an inch or two of live wood is incredibly strong.
I'd keep my eyes open for signs of pine beetles, though. If the crown starts dying back, especially in sections, I'd get it removed before the beetles get in the other, healthy pines. Also look for leaking sap from fresh holes and fine sawdust falling near the base of the tree. They have devastated thousands of acres all over the eastern US in the last couple years and they are not slowing down. I've seen so many around here, I'd be surprised if we had 10% of our pines remaining in 5 years.

Last edited:
Back