Longwood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Jan when it was 34 below around here I made a service call on one that had oil back up and the filter out side on the tank had frozen up. They had not used the wood part of the furnace in a number of years. Its the only one I have ran into in this area. Was out on a old farmstead. I went back in the summer and took it out and switched them over to a propane 96 percent furnace and central AC. The house had never had central AC. They said there grand parents had it installed in the 70's when they were small kids. It went to the scrapper as no one seemed to want it.

Last Jan when it was 34 below around here I made a service call on one that had oil back up and the filter out side on the tank had frozen up. They had not used the wood part of the furnace in a number of years. Its the only one I have ran into in this area. Was out on a old farmstead. I went back in the summer and took it out and switched them over to a propane 96 percent furnace and central AC. The house had never had central AC. They said there grand parents had it installed in the 70's when they were small kids. It went to the scrapper as no one seemed to want it.
I am sure they are better off with the system you put in. This one was in the house when we bought it 35 years ago and it was a house at that time 10 years old. I put the , new at that time , optional lower automatic damper on. We have burned almost exclusively wood since we have lived here. It had LP as the other fuel. We did away with the LP part when we put in central air several years ago. I really like the furnace with the exception of having some flue plugging from time to time. Really easy to cut wood for the the furnace unless you want split wood.

It seems like in my area when I have ran into wood burning furnaces while doing HVAC work most were just add on ones done in the 70'S and early 80'S. Most are the ones the farm stores sold. The duel fuel ones didn't seem to sell in my area. This longwood is only the second one I have ever ran into. The other was a Yukon if I remember correctly. That was probably twenty years ago now.

They were manufactured here in my home state in Missouri. Gallatin Mo. Not sure how many they sold or how long they were in production. Think they went out of production about the early 90s. There was a case of several people that died from carbon monoxide as a result of a cracked firebox I believe, they were using LP at the time. Product liability may have gotten the best of them. Just guessing. they were UL approved however.

Latest posts

Back