look what I found today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I stopped at a flea market on my way home looking for canthooks and found this log scaling stick. Its made by Conway Cleveland co in Grand Rapids Mich. I use a builtmore stick to scale while trees are standing and do not know how to use the log scale stick or grade logs for that matter, but for 25.00 I couldn't pass it up. We all get deals sometimes:clap:
100_0537.jpg

100_0539.jpg

100_0538.jpg

So I am sitting here looking at this thing trying to figure out how to use it as it is not anything like the builtmore stick and it doesn't have any markings on it that indicate what scale it its using ie. doyal schribner or international.... and it suddenly dawns on my why it doesn't make any sence!!! Its for scaling bf of lumber....not logs...duh....makes perfect sense now:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice score ! :clap: :clap: - but I won't be making one ;)

:cheers:

BUT... we all know if you wanted to you could!

Nice score... you can still get these board rules from forestry supply stores for around $40. Those sharp points on the end are for grabbing the board to flip it over so you can check for defects both sides quickly when grading. I've never used one, but seen guys on the line, and they are QUICK with these things. They stand there with one of these in one hand and long stick with chalk at the end of it in the other, and walk down the line as the boards come off the saw and grade as quick as they walk. I suspect it would take a long time to get that good. Actually, I think it would be an interesting job for couple weeks... then it would start to get old quick.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back