Look what the wind & rain brought me!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me that unless you're rolling a truly GIANT log, you may as well just get a 24"-30" section of iron pipe for extra leverage over top of the cant hook for cheap at a hardware store. I know the hook is bigger on the monster hook or whatever they call it, but IMHO, is it really worth the extra $55?

Seems to me that unless you're rolling a truly GIANT log, you may as well just get a 24"-30" section of iron pipe for extra leverage over top of the cant hook for cheap at a hardware store. I know the hook is bigger on the monster hook or whatever they call it, but IMHO, is it really worth the extra $55?

I'm 99.9% its a White Oak. Where the trunk is buried , a guy who works for me would never think twice before he put the 3foot bar in the dirt.

Perhaps as you start cutting the top out, it will "work" its way back upright, allowing you to place wood under neath so you can roll logs. Root ball will assist in pulling tree upright- just watch out for it coming up too fast. Come-along pulling in the upright direction will also assist with this. This should help with the buried in mud ordeal. 30% of the wood seems fair- landowner might even have an easier access route in.;)

Cant hook

aquan8tor said:

Yes, it is all about the hook being larger that makes it worth the extra money. If you can make the smaller cant hook bite enough, then use it. But, with the extra torque of the 2' pipe, it will probably break out of the log at the most un-opportune time. I don't like landing on my bottom. JMO

aquan8tor,

You say there was a rift between your family and this other landowner. You fired the caretaker who appeared to cause the problem. I'd 'mend the fence' first with a token seasonal gift from your family to theirs, mentioning you have taken steps to remedy the problem. Then touch base again a month or so later and see if they mind you milling that tree near your property boundary. From the looks of it, I don't see that tree going anywhere!

well, the neighbor actually called my mother the other day to talk! He wants to mend things too; I haven't talked to him yet, and I probably won't for some time to come yet. That tree isn't getting up and going anywhere anytime soon!!!!!!

On a side note, I do have a lewis winch on the way!!! managed to get one off ebay at the last minute for just over 300. I lucked out and noticed it right before the auction closed. We'll see if its up to the task of moving some giant cants (if I end up working something out) I'll test it on some big cherry logs after new years(or however long it takes the winch to get here from BC).

Aquan about the lewis, be careful for snags. Maybe make a little sled for yourself to use when dragging logs throught the woods. And make sure you get videos of the event. I wish I had taken video of mine in action and will certainly get pics and video next time. Good luck with that log we certianly want you to get that thing after all this posting.

aquan8tor

looks like a cherry bark oak to me. if so then its the premier red oak species!

if that log is 36" (looks to me that it could be 40") your only chance of moving that log is by rolling it sideways. buck the tree from the top down but make your bucking marks from the bottom up to make proper length selection. maybe as the top gets lighter the trunk wil raise some. cut the little stuff in front of the log roll, dig out from underneath bout 2' inside where u buck it, so to get 2 chains/cable underneath. also if you dont want to put the tip of your bar in the dirt, dig out under the stump cut. i just cut everything where i am sure not to touch dirt/rocks first then finish each cut. anchor the underneath ends of the chain/cable to another nearby tree/stump. now attach the over top ends of the chain/cable together to your winch. u can roll it sideways that way to get it up out of the mud. dosent take a lot of power to roll this way. can even roll it up on some
6"-8" logs w/ tapered ends.

i have handled logs this way. largest was 13' x 46" cherry bark oak. it is doable but only only if you get some chains/cable underneath for rolling. u arent dragging that log anywhere w/o some major major equipment.

once u get it rolled up n out u can have at it w/ the mill. try to remove as much bark as possible. keeps the chain sharper longer.

Back