Looking at add-on wood furnaces

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to go with SuperPro. I bought, err stole, 16" of SuperPro 2100 for $150 yesterday off Craigslist. Anyone have better prices than NorthlineExpress? Keep in mind I'm now going straight up through a dead space between walls in my house.

Do I need anything additional, or not need any of the following?

1. Rain cap
  2. Storm collar
  3. Flashing
  4. Ceiling support
  5. Stovepipe Adaptor
  6. Stovepipe section/s
  7. Adaptor for top of stove.
  8. Might need an insulation shield.

Last edited:
You'll need all of that stuff.

Streblerm....exactly on all points.

Deals are great, but sometimes there's problems with deals.
This used pipe may have had a fire or 2 in it....that would make it worthless.
It also does not fall into the tax credit like new pipe does.
Your really needing to go to a pro and have them set up what you'll need.
Asking here is like shooting a shotgun. You may be getting some of the right info ,but if you make a mistake it's on you and your home burns up.
Deals are great,can't dispute that.
Now go to Lowes and buy the rest of what the guy there say's you'll need.

Ok assuming your current furnace would keep up without the pellet stove. You are going to need to consume roughly 14-15 pounds of wood per hour. When the outside temps are near zero. So you want to get a good eight hours of sleep.You are going a furnace with a firebox that will hold roughly 120 pounds of wood to achieve an all night burn.
If I am wrong someone will correct me hopefully.

I think your math is slightly askew. There won't be that great of a need due to the fact that the wood furnace will go into idle mode when there is no demand for heat. If it were burning full bore for 8hrs then yes 120lbs should be about right. But I can tell you I live in a drafty 2000 sqft. farm house and I dont pack nearly 120lbs of wood in it to achieve well over a 12hr burn.

Eric, I have a 3.5 cubic foot firebox that holds around 50 pounds of wood. I can get 8 hour burns without any issues. When its mild out, 10-12 hours isn't an issue. Thats the difference between the old and the new. Most woodfurnaces are around 6 to 7+ cubic feet.

I can say I finally got my Caddy burning right (or at least I am happy with it.) I am able to load it at 11 PM and I get up at 6:30 and the furnace is still going. I then load it at 6:30 and I am able to burn right till 6 PM. I keep the house at 65 when no body is home. Now when the wife is home she likes it a little hotter, so when she isnt working she likes it at 74, then she has to put a piece in at dinner time. I have a 85 year old farm house.

Now at the end of 8 hours are you down to clinkers and not making enough heat to cycle the blower? Or is there still enough juice at 8 hours to allow the blower to run?

I know with my furnace after 8 hours my blower is still blowing and I still have some wood pieces in the box on a day when it is 20. The other night it got down to -5 and after 8 hours I had hot coals going. (that was the first sub 0 night I had while running my furnace) Tonight it is suposed to get down to 0, so we will see what happens.

Latest posts

Back