Looking for a Budget Wood Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyatt183728

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ive been cutting firewood for a few years now, and ive accumulated my fair share of brush and branches. I would like to have a small wood chipper (preferably under $2000) that I could tow behind the fourwheeler to chip some brush. I cut up anything over 2-3" diameter, so I dont need a 5-6" chipping campacity. Ive seen the DR 11.5 chipper and like what I see. Can anyone give me some advice or point me in the right direction? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the need you are describing the chipper you are looking at will be inadequate. I have an 8hp troybilt from back when troybilt was a tool worth having. For any significant amount of brush it is just too slow. I can't imagine a few more HP will make that much difference. The small chippers are really made for someone with a small yard that wants to chip up a few branches here and there.

If it doesn't have a feed mechanism you are looking at hours of frustration. Burning the brush will be about 10x faster. Without the feed mechanism you have to hold the brush back or the chipper pulls it in too fast and clogs up. Alternately you can chuck one small branch at a time.

If you really want a chipper, I think one of the PTO chippers with infeed can be had for close to your price range. If you have a tractor that's the way to go. I believe any self powered, self feeding machine would be a disappointment.

http://www.woodmaxx.com/WM_8M_Mechanical_PTO_Wood_Chipper_p/wm-8m.htm

I'm running a PTO chipper that I have to feed and even that is very slow. I'm only pushing it with a 20hp tractor and it's much more efficient than a DR chipper I used once. You might consider renting a commercial unit and chip everything in short order.

For that size material,
A BX60/62 Wallenstien would be a fair option.

8cdbfed2037918fca28d86e8ba227186.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331243276364

Any smaller, & you are wasting your time. That's the reality of those micro chippers. They take FOREVER.

The one pictures is good for 5" whatever, or 6" material if it is straight.

Ive been cutting firewood for a few years now, and ive accumulated my fair share of brush and branches. I would like to have a small wood chipper (preferably under $2000) that I could tow behind the fourwheeler to chip some brush. I cut up anything over 2-3" diameter, so I dont need a 5-6" chipping campacity. Ive seen the DR 11.5 chipper and like what I see. Can anyone give me some advice or point me in the right direction? Thanks

The dr chippers are nice. Just about had a new one this spring (14 hp up to 5" capacity) the dealer was discontinuing their dr line and had it priced for 1,200 bucks. But the wife kinda put the brakes on that. I have a craftsman chipper now I bought used for 150 bucks and it works great for things up to 1". It says 3" capacity but would hate to run that through all day as it is very slow on anything over 1". Good luck in finding one.

e83658a5ff2bb21f1a390cad6964579a.jpg

Thanks for all the imput, this is about the average brush pile I would be chipping. I would do one of these every time I cut a tree, whitch is not very often. I am fine with taking awhile to chip brush. I would get a PTO chipper but the plans to buy a tractor fell through, so im out of luck on that.

I own an 11.5 Dr chipper, bought it used, it's not a self feed.

I'd think hard about what you need.

I take mine places, so even if it's not quick it's much quicker than taking three loads of brush. I can put it on a trailer and chip right into my truck, I know some of the other budget options chip straight onto the ground. I use the chips, around the yard, around my daughter's playset. I don't chip the large stuff, I cut anything 2.5 or 3 inches into firewood and it's pretty good up until that diameter.

I'm not sure if I'd be sold on a self feeding 11.5. It'd be really nice on small stuff but on the big stuff it's actually nice to hold it back and let the engine spin up, I think it'd have to have more power to make it worth it or you'd have to go through a ton of small stuff.

I've used a tow behind Vermeer and it would chew up anything and it cost about a third of my house. I've used a tow behind Wallenstein, on small stuff this thing was perfect, would feed really well, engine power was good, on 3-4 inches, well within it's capacity, it was a joke. Stalled itself non stop. 10-15k machine, I know if I had bought one without ever using it I'd be more than a little upset.

Now, if you only see the chips as a useless byproduct, you never need to take the chipper anywhere and always cut at your place, I really can see a case being made for just dragging it and burning it.

Hopefully that helps you make a decision for your needs.

I just listed the one in post #10 in the trading post with some more info. 18 hp. This size machine is not fast, but are great little work horses up to 2"-2 1/2" stuff, and helped me keep my work area clean and safer, at an affordable price. I enjoyed using it.
I have a video. How can I upload it?

e83658a5ff2bb21f1a390cad6964579a.jpg

Thanks for all the imput, this is about the average brush pile I would be chipping. I would do one of these every time I cut a tree, whitch is not very often. I am fine with taking awhile to chip brush. I would get a PTO chipper but the plans to buy a tractor fell through, so im out of luck on that.

that looks like some of the craigslist ads for free firewood

Should have a new, better video coming soon....but have this for now.

Dang - that's a pretty decent looking working unit for $500. I'd likely have one if they were up here.

Latest posts

Back