looking for a ford 172 industrial engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you just purchase that chipper off ebay? They had one same chipper & Condition & Shape in PA Last week.

Ive had the chipper for years.Had a long block put in 400 hours ago freeze plug rusted out and pumped all the coolant out and overheated,I think I saw the one on Ebay.

In a pinch you can use i believe it is a 2.9L or maybe its a 2.4L Ford from an early 80's mustang.Thats the what i use at the autoparts store to aquire a starter ect for my C-n-D.

The ford industrial engine is the same as the Ford 2.3L used in the early 80's mustangs/fairmonts/granada's and a few more. I don't know the exact differences, but I used to build the Rayco Hydra-Tugs for moving airplanes in and out of hangers. It used the 2300cc/2.3L/172 Industrial engine. The heads between the 2.3 and 172 do interchange. The newer (mid to late 80's) 2.3Ls are totally differant. They used 2 spark plugs per cylinder.

Steve

oops

I thaught we was looking for a 172 like was used in 800series ford tractors in the 60's, I have seen them set up with a clutch on asphalt machines. Wrong critter.

I used to use the 2.3L Fords in race cars. I still had a real nice motor here with 0 hours but I got rid of it awhile back. It was a real mild engine and would have been perfect. I still have a D-port head for one if anyone ever needs one. Those engines are some darn simple to work on it is criminal. Grab one out a junkyard and rebuild it in a day.

Bill

2.3L thats what I was trying to think of. Only difference I'm aware of is the Carb and governor.Obviously the mustang didn't need a governor.If the carb and governor are still good you should be able to find a suitable stang engine for a couple hundred bucks.

Are you still looking for a engine? I picked up a ford industrial power unit hooked to a trash pump over the weekend. I still have yet to determine if its a 172 . It might be smaller one too. More then likely its the 172. I think its been rebuilt and block and head are out of a tractor. Its the ford red they painted the tractors with. But, its all self contained. Fuel tank gauges and all are right on it. This is a diesel with electric fuel shut off. I have to do some work on the wireing then it should be running. I will get pics of it in the next few days. I might beable to get it as far as London Ohio too.
If I cna help you just let me know.
Later
Bob
(608)482-1003 cell

DDM said:
In a pinch you can use i believe it is a 2.9L or maybe its a 2.4L Ford from an early 80's mustang.Thats the what i use at the autoparts store to aquire a starter ect for my C-n-D.
You're thinking 2.0 and 2.3L motors. the 2.0 is a WEAK engine, I have one in my truck only 73 hp. the 2.3, at least the fuel injected ones are 140hp. a 2.9 is a very poor choice for a chipper, prone to cracking heads if it overheats even once. also famous for headgaskets too.

Lawn Masters said:
You're thinking 2.0 and 2.3L motors. the 2.0 is a WEAK engine, I have one in my truck only 73 hp. the 2.3, at least the fuel injected ones are 140hp. a 2.9 is a very poor choice for a chipper, prone to cracking heads if it overheats even once. also famous for headgaskets too.

OSA :angry2: Exactly what experience do you have with these engines. DDM already noticed his mistake in confusing the 2.9 V-6 with the 2.3 4 cyl so I am not sure why you brought it up. Have you ever built any of these engines ? What is your opinion based on ? Have you ever actually worked on any of these engines ? I have and they are not weak. Since you are in Florida I am sure you are aware of the 2.3L running at Daytona. As for getting back on the actual topic the 2.3 is very reliable and is easy to rebuild. As long as they are the same as basic engine as the 172 they are easy to get parts for and easy to to rebuild.

Bill

My father has a small bobcat that has one of those in it we are puting a new engine in it but all mounts and every this has to be changes

Back