looking for a good old large mcculloch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoolfishguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here.
I currently use a stihl 026 and it's a great saw.
I had a firewood business as a kid and bought a mccullock pro mac 55 new in 1974.
It was a great saw, put a lot of cords thru it, about 20 years later it got hard to start, dad took it to the saw shop, they gave it back in a box totally disassembled, I mean totally, and said they couldn't get the parts to fix it. Thanks for nothing guys! It never got put back together. Dad bought the stihl 026 for me. I've worn out a lot of chains and bars on that saw. Had a Mac 10-10 for awhile I bought used on e-bay. Good saw. Sold it off when we sold the farm.

These days I mostly cut if we go camping, and for a big ongoing church clean up town volunteer project. I just bought a homelite XL2 on e-bay for a light one hand saw I can use when I'm hangin like a monkey up in the trees. My son would like a bigger saw than the 026 for when we run into big trees that the 026 is a bit slow on.

A stihl 046 or 066 would be great, but a bit over budget for a saw we only will use on a few trees year.

I love the look and feel of the 1970's and 80's mcculloch's, and miss my pro mac 55.
I would like a saw in the 75cc+ range.

Question?
Got any mcculloch favorites I should look at?
E-bay has a pro mac 700 and super pro 81 for sale
any thoughts on either of those saws?
parts availability and maintenance issues?
any models you would recommend?
prefer to stick with older mcculloch or any stihls, but open to suggestions.
thanks, Matt

Matt, a little farther down in the menu we have a "chainsaw" forum. There are some real Mac fans there. I'm into big old Homelites, so I can't help you. Post your questions there and you'll get lots of help, Joe.

Latest posts

Back