McCulloch MACCAT Progress Thread, help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Collectors

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all. I bought McCulloch MacCat 38cc chainsaw in a package deal with 2 other saws yesterday for only $25. I got it to run good for 4 seconds on a drink, but I just had to replace the fuel line. I know this is dumb and simple, but I can’t seem to get the choke setup right… Any help about the choke would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_6771.jpeg

This is where I’m at now. Choke still won’t go all the way off. The screws have to be kinda loose in order for the choke plate to move…

Attachments

• IMG_6774.jpeg
    IMG_6774.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I got the choke figured out. I got the saw to run for a few seconds at a time by giving it a drink, but it won’t even try to start without a drink. The few seconds it has run, it has ran great, not even any smoke. I played with the carb adjustments, although I don’t know the proper adjustments for this saw. So it’s not getting gas. I’ll have to rebuild or replace the Zama carburetor.

There should be an impulse line from the carburetor to a nipple on the intake manifold (attached to the block). Make sure it is in place and not cracked or split on the ends.

If the saw has been setting for a time, the diaphragms could be stiff and the internals of the carburetor gummed up with fuel/oil residue.

1-1/2 open on both H and L would be a good starting point.

Mark

There should be an impulse line from the carburetor to a nipple on the intake manifold (attached to the block). Make sure it is in place and not cracked or split on the ends.

If the saw has been setting for a time, the diaphragms could be stiff and the internals of the carburetor gummed up with fuel/oil residue.

1-1/2 open on both H and L would be a good starting point.

Mark
I didn’t see any cracks on that one line, but will check again tomorrow. It has sat for a while, yes, by the previous owner. I did a really quick carb spray clean job and will reinstall it and adjust it like you said to give it one more chance before I rebuild or replace the carb.

Still not getting fuel. I’ll rebuild or replace the carb. I’m not 100% certain what carb kit I need… Here’s pics to aid in indentification. If anyone has a functional carb they’d sell for this saw let me know. Is this the right kit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201654709436

Attachments

• IMG_6806.jpeg
    IMG_6806.jpeg
  • IMG_6807.jpeg
    IMG_6807.jpeg
    659.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6808.jpeg
    IMG_6808.jpeg
    814.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6809.jpeg
    IMG_6809.jpeg
  • IMG_6811.jpeg
    IMG_6811.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6812.jpeg
    IMG_6812.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 0
Here’s pics of the saw as well as the bent bar which I’ll replace.

Attachments

• IMG_6815.jpeg
    IMG_6815.jpeg
    593.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6816.jpeg
    IMG_6816.jpeg
    645.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6817.jpeg
    IMG_6817.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back