looking for a good older larger mcculloch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoolfishguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here.
I currently use a stihl 026 and it's a great saw.
I had a firewood business as a teenager and bought a mccullock pro mac 55 new in 1974.
It was a great saw, put a lot of cords thru it, about 20 years later it got hard to start, dad took it to the saw shop, they gave it back in a box totally disassembled, I mean totally, and said they couldn't get the parts to fix it. Thanks for nothing guys! It never got put back together. Dad bought the stihl 026 for me to harvest firewood from out eucalyptus plantation. I've worn out a lot of chains and bars on that saw. Had a Mac 10-10 for awhile I bought used on e-bay. Good saw. Sold it off when we sold the farm.

These days I mostly cut if we go camping, and for a big ongoing church clean up the town volunteer project. I just bought a homelite XL2 on e-bay for a light one hand saw I can use when I'm hangin like a monkey up in the trees. My son would like a bigger saw than the 026 for when we run into big trees that the 026 is a bit slow on.

A stihl 046 or 066 would be great, but a bit over budget for a saw we only will use on a few trees year.

I love the look and feel of the 1970's and 80's mcculloch's, and miss my pro mac 55.
I would like a more powerful saw, something in the 75cc+ range.

Question?
Got any mcculloch favorites I should look at?
E-bay has a pro mac 700 and 850 and super pro 81 for sale
any thoughts on either of those saws?
parts availability and maintenance issues?
any models you would recommend, or stay clear of?
prefer to stick with older mcculloch or any stihls, but open to suggestions.
thanks, Matt

I will get yelled at for this;

Buy a 610 or 650 McCulloch. They were built by the millions, well maybe not that many, can be bought for pocket change, is a 10 cc jump over your 026, your 026 will seem light as a feather after running the box McCulloch. Perform well even after 20+ years. The McCullochs you referenced are getting hard to come by unless they are like your 55.

McCulloch 600 Series;

Built like a tank,
Ugly as sin,
Great ole saws.

And I ain't a real big McCulloch fan.

:givebeer:

Last edited:
I would suggest a 7-10, PM700, or similar saw. Pistons for the 80/800/81 are rare as hen's teeth if you would ever have a problem, and many with those saw have had a problem.

I also have a 5-10 and 6-10 but they don't seem to have the same spit and my 7-10.

Mark

I have a Mac 700 for sale as well as most of the Macs around that size if you are interested.

Bill

Hey how are you Bill?
Still have a PM850?
I was going to suggest the old 250, it will cut longer than you would care to hold on to it. They are inexpensive, parts are plentiful and they sound like a chainsaw should.

Hey Randy,

I've run both, and frankly speaking I would choose the 7-10 for any job that requires swinging the saw around. The 250 or variation thereof would be fine for bucking up logs that are already horizontal where the weight could work for you.

Mark

Hey Mark, how are you? When are you coming out West? We need you at a GTG.
Yeah, you are probably right about the 250s, kinda hefty. A 70cc is lighter, somewhat.

Randy, I keep asking our reps in the great NW to get something lined up so I can make a trip out again. Not much happening in the feed and oil seed business out that way I guess.

When you know something will be coming up let me know, I have a lot of vacation time this year and I expect my wife would enjoy a trip out west again.

I ran my 036 Stihl quite a bit today, when it ran out of gas I picked up the 7-10 and continued cutting. If it weren't for the great sound of the old Mac, I might run the Stihl all the time.

The job today did require a little work with the SP125 using 32" bar, one of the older neighbors had to stop me to let me know "that saw is quite a horse!".

attachment.php

Sorry schoolfish for hi jacking the thread, the SP125 is probably more than you need. Keep looking for something like the PM700 or 800/850.

Mark

Hi guys, I'm new here.
I currently use a stihl 026 and it's a great saw.
I had a firewood business as a teenager and bought a mccullock pro mac 55 new in 1974.
It was a great saw, put a lot of cords thru it, about 20 years later it got hard to start, dad took it to the saw shop, they gave it back in a box totally disassembled, I mean totally, and said they couldn't get the parts to fix it. Thanks for nothing guys! It never got put back together. Dad bought the stihl 026 for me to harvest firewood from out eucalyptus plantation. I've worn out a lot of chains and bars on that saw. Had a Mac 10-10 for awhile I bought used on e-bay. Good saw. Sold it off when we sold the farm.

These days I mostly cut if we go camping, and for a big ongoing church clean up the town volunteer project. I just bought a homelite XL2 on e-bay for a light one hand saw I can use when I'm hangin like a monkey up in the trees. My son would like a bigger saw than the 026 for when we run into big trees that the 026 is a bit slow on.

A stihl 046 or 066 would be great, but a bit over budget for a saw we only will use on a few trees year.

I love the look and feel of the 1970's and 80's mcculloch's, and miss my pro mac 55.
I would like a more powerful saw, something in the 75cc+ range.

Question?
Got any mcculloch favorites I should look at?
E-bay has a pro mac 700 and 850 and super pro 81 for sale
any thoughts on either of those saws?
parts availability and maintenance issues?
any models you would recommend, or stay clear of?
prefer to stick with older mcculloch or any stihls, but open to suggestions.
thanks, Matt

I have a Mac 700 for sale as well as most of the Macs around that size if you are interested.

Bill

I'd look into the 700 Bill is offering. He doesn't deal in junk. Plan an extra half hour for unpacking it, though. He packs things VERY well!

I'd look into the 700 Bill is offering. He doesn't deal in junk. Plan an extra half hour for unpacking it, though. He packs things VERY well!

Thanks for the kind words,

I do like to pack saws very well. I know well what saws look like when they get here and I sure never want any saw I send out to arrive in a broken condition. I actually enjoy packing them up

Bill

Hey how are you Bill?
Still have a PM850?
I was going to suggest the old 250, it will cut longer than you would care to hold on to it. They are inexpensive, parts are plentiful and they sound like a chainsaw should.

Hello Randy,

I believe there is a 850 out on the shelf as well as a 800 and a Double Eagle 80. I have some of the smaller ones also. I just took a couple videos the other night of the 700 and a PM 60.

Bill

Here is the 700
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAcTsg9Y2WU

Here is the 60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJEL6b_UnM

You never know what you might find but ya know you might want to try guys here

mac 440

Hi, I have a mcculloch 440 and I have a problem with it running it starts but does not run I think it needs new fuel lines i'm not sure but any way I got the saw for free because my dads work got new stihls and were going to throw this and 2 other mccullochs in the dumpster and told him that he could have them if he wanted so I have them and trying to get them going. any ideas on the 440 i seen on here about a flat carb? whats up with that is that my problem maybe? And how much is this saw worth because I need a big saw with at least a 36" bar just for the big trees I get. Right now I'm using my 290 farm boss with a 20" and it does the job but I need a bigger bar and saw and I think this 440 would be a good one or I can sell it and get a bigger stihl. So if anyone wabts to buy it or can tell me haow to fix let me know my email is [email protected] Thank You.:greenchainsaw: oh by the way anyone know the biggest bar the 440 would take.

The 440 is 87 cc's, not a real fast saw but one that's not too worn out will develop plenty of torque. Certainly it should pull a 24" bar with pretty good authority.

One the other hand, a more modern saw would be lighter, faster, and more powerful if you really needed to run it fair bit. Besides, a newer was will have better anti-vibration that would be very nice if you run the saw for more than a few minutes.

Value is quite variable, but probably $50 to $100 depending on who might be interested.

Mark

i like to run the older macs . they sound great. any of the saws that a few of u have refered about that u would sell i would like to see some pictures and a price quote. maybe we can get together pm me and i will send u my email.
thanks jnl

Latest posts

Back