Looking for a saw that fits my needs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds like the ticket, thats what I want to do "cut all sorts of crap"

I cut firewood with it, pulls a 16" bar and chain just fine. I had a muffler mod done to mine. I would look on ebay and craigslist for one you can get them for less then $200 brand new.

Buy a used saw

Look around for a used saw in the 10lb/3hp range and buy the one you like. Stihl is my preference but Husqvarna, Dolmar/Makita, Echo and many others make fine saws. The biggest reason to stay away from homeowner saws other than weight, is the EPA carbs. If you plan on putting some serious hours on the saw the lean carb will burn the saw up. I bought a used Stihl 025 here and it works great for just about anything up to 30" with an 18" bar and sharp chain. Just my opinion but when I see guys wielding big saws against little wisps of trees, it looks like way too much work.

Time is money

Dan42 - The one question no one asks is hardwood or softwood ... a 12" - 16" oak or black cherry WILL take awhile to cut up. If it's mostly soft wood my guess is you could get by with the small ones. I prefer my old Stihl 026 Pro's 3.5 hp with a 16" at 10.5 lbs./ Stihl 261 11.6 lbs as minimum. The 180 is only 2.0 hp weighs 8.8 lbs yes it's a lighter carry-in but I would be out of the woods sipping beer while your still going at it!

Pro Saws

The Pro saws are lighter and faster for sure. I guess I was thinking that price was an issue, or at least that the OP did not want to spend more than needed. I would love to upgrade my 025 to an 026 pro. I cut a lot of Oak, Hedge, Hickory, Hackberry, and some Walnut and Elm. Usually the biggest issue is the condition of the chain. It is funny though that the saw flies through the Elm and Walnut, but the splitter has a harder time.

Thanks for all the replies. I stopped by the Stihl dealer and looked at all the saws mentioned. I am partial to the MS170 and MS180. Both are light and manageable, but as everyone has pointed out, I may not be satisfied with the power. I do not need to cut fast but I do not want to have to struggle getting something cut. I am going to check out the Husky 440e and Echo CS400 today. I will be running into a variety of hardwood/softwood, but if the tree is too big I will go around it. The fallen trees are the only large trees (14-16") I would be tackling. Any reason a MS 180 would not be able to cut something like that given enough patience? Price is of course an issue, I am horrible about saying "for just $50 more I could get" next thing you know I end up spending $200 more than planned....

How fast do you want to go?

Chainsaws are like anything else, given enough money you can go as fast you want. The only advantage I can see to a new saw is the warranty, if that's important to you. My dealer sells a new ms 170 for about $180, that should get you quite a bit more in a used saw.

For what you are looking at and light. The MS 211 and MS 250 will do what you need.

Back