looking for advice on two tall Linden trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
IMG_3158.jpgIMG_3159.jpgIMG_3160.jpg

What would you quote for complete removal and cleanup of both trees down to the stump (to remain)? Tree's are of the Lynden variety. Figuring one arborist, 2 groundies, a grapple truck to haul away and possibly a skidsteer with grapple (if needed). Location an hour from here. I'm not the arborist, but I have the equipment. An arborist (relatively new with couple years experience) already did a site inspection, then called me to discuss. A chipper is available, but I'm thinking there's probably less labour involved in simply hauling away branches and all to the local municipal transfer station (local dump), scales fees would be incurred at the local dump.

Probably around 3800$ here, everything cleaned up, hauled off, no stumps.

With a skid steer to handle the bigger wood, probably about 1 day, assuming someone isn’t gone for hours at a time to dump the truck/trailer once or twice.

Lol I’d have 5k minimum on those trees.
does look as if I should up my prices, doh! - my price is in £ which is about 3k cdn or 2.5k usd

out of interest what is the normal process for the timber generated, do you factor that into your price as it has some value if you kept it.

Lol I’d have 5k minimum on those trees.

Yep, to do it professionally & efficiently, would say around 5. OP didn't give any approx sizes - what are they, around 20-25m, 800-1m DBH or a bit bigger?

People are kidding themselves if they think a grapple truck is going to be quicker than an efficient crew with chipper & track or wheel loader processing the sub 500m stuff.

Chippers aren't there for show or to add cost for the client.

does look as if I should up my prices, doh! - my price is in £ which is about 3k cdn or 2.5k usd

out of interest what is the normal process for the timber generated, do you factor that into your price as it has some value if you kept it.
The only money in yard trees is firewood, and that’s beer money at best. No mill will touch yard trees as there is too much risk of metal in the wood.
Wood costs money to haul and dispose of off sight and is charged accordingly.
All the better if the homeowner wants to keep it. That’s the only way they can save on the estimate.

2500 cash and you help process and burn the brush, just get the brush off of my feet.. the wood gets split and left in a pile. but you need to be able to get ropes up in the tree and be sure nothing is getting crushed on the fall. i dont think you have that much brush . 2 maybe 3 day job for 2 maybe 3 guys.

2500 cash and you help process and burn the brush, just get the brush off of my feet.. the wood gets split and left in a pile. but you need to be able to get ropes up in the tree and be sure nothing is getting crushed on the fall. i dont think you have that much brush . 2 maybe 3 day job for 2 maybe 3 guys.

So you are going to halve the price & do one third the job? Insurance? Homeowner helps & does their back in or gets in the way slowing the process down?

A well oiled, well equipped three man crew could blast through it in a day. Safe, neat, succinct, job done, blank canvas left with stumps cut neatly at ground level. No mountain of brush of docked rounds scattered everywhere, no rollie smoking tracksuit pant wearers loitering about the property disrupting the peace.

Yeah your doing them a favor. Dont need insurance, if you know what your doing. You see those bricks coming out of the roof. Thats a chimney. They can heat their home and not use as much natural gas. Which makes fertilizer and food cheaper. Its a win win.
You use all the wood and the brush is minimal. Cut it flush to the ground.

I wont judge you if you dress like a russian hood rat.

Yeah your doing them a favor. Dont need insurance, if you know what your doing. You see those bricks coming out of the roof. Thats a chimney. They can heat their home and not use as much natural gas. Which makes fertilizer and food cheaper. Its a win win.

"Don't need insurance if you know what you're doing..."

Do you print that on your business card?

Indeed. I encourage owners to reuse the resource & reuse most mulch, timber & firewood from jobs if they don't, making quite a handy sideline.

But on a small lot scenario like that, having a dirty mountain of scattered wood seasoning for many years may not be so desirable. What a loader will stack up neatly or remove from site in an hour or two would take most homeowners years to move.

If the guy was a legit company. He wouldnt be asking how much can he get away with charging. He's either just starting up or only has acess to some equipment.
I cut alot of wood and drop alot of trees. I think it can be done safely and done cheaper.

If the guy was a legit company. He wouldnt be asking how much can he get away with charging. He's either just starting up or only has acess to some equipment.
I cut alot of wood and drop alot of trees. I think it can be done safely and done cheaper.
Rightly said. Just over a month ago I had to bring down a Linden tree that was about 60feet high roughly 50 yr old as it was starting to decay. Just did it by myself with some good precaution, now am left with lots of firewood :)

Can't see everything that I would like to see, but it appears with a pull rope, 2 guys & a grapple truck you could be done by 2pm.
$2k & done

Back