Looking for bucket truck training and info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaptain_K

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I picked up a bucket truck for my landscape business and want to educate myself on how to properly use the unit. Speciafically, it's an old High Ranger boom, pto to the truck engine, about 55' w/joystick control and controls for the bucket/ dump box/and accessory hydraulics at the base of the unit (behind the cab). Can anyone point me toward any online information on general use and safety/training on a bucket truck in general, as well as any specific info on my unit. I haven't found the #'s yet, but I'm looking for them.

I plan to hire experienced people to run my equipment for tree work, but I need to be educated myself first. Here's a few photos.

Thanks!!
-Kap't K

Last edited:
Yeah, I can handle that part of it.... already gettin' her cleaned up and painted. :)
There aren't any leaks...that's just frozen ice, er, frozen water in the first photo.

Last edited:
Sorry Kaptan!! Good luck finding someone. But remember noboby cares as much as you do for your company. Try the Davey yard those guys come and go!

Would you have the time to do the work cuz that would be the best situation then train someone the way you want.

But remember noboby cares as much as you do for your company. Try the Davey yard those guys come and go!
yep they come and go alright, hell I even fired and hired a few in my time there but there are more that stay then you think, I know guys that have been with them 35 years and I was there for a pretty good while myself, pretty decent company to work for if you got the right people above and under you.

Kaptain_K as for training for yourself maybe you can find something here don't really know which one would be good for you but it's a start or you could do as you mentioned and hire someone that knows and have them teach you to run the bucket.

Oh yeah, get a harness if you don't already have one and keep the cables clean and use chain lube (not bar oil) to spray them down with once a week and grease all the fittings once a week also and everyday before anyone gets in it inspect the boom and all the workings of it, if you have an aerial lift company in town take the truck to them and let them check it out, it's a small price to pay to help prevent a mishap.

Last edited:
Hi,
I picked up a bucket truck for my landscape business and want to educate myself on how to properly use the unit. Speciafically, it's an old High Ranger boom, pto to the truck engine, about 55' w/joystick control and controls for the bucket/ dump box/and accessory hydraulics at the base of the unit (behind the cab). Can anyone point me toward any online information on general use and safety/training on a bucket truck in general, as well as any specific info on my unit. I haven't found the #'s yet, but I'm looking for them.

I plan to hire experienced people to run my equipment for tree work, but I need to be educated myself first. Here's a few photos.

Thanks!!
-Kap't K

Nice truck..would you mind sharing how much you paid and how you went about finding it. Thanks

Re: price

ArborCARE,
I sent you a PM with that info.
Indiana truck on Ebay..I drove it 600 miles home in a snowstorm in January and it drove like a champ. Very impressed with the truck itself, and no issues with the boom that i can tell.

RFtreeman --Thanks! that's exactly the kind of info. I'm seeking.

-Kap't

There isn't much training involved when using a bucket, you get good with practice. Just make sure you know how to fold everything up if the hydraulics were to fail.

As far as a harness, you should get one before going up. Get a fall arrest bungie lanyard. They have a section folded up and sealed in plastic, if you fall out the plastic breaks and slows the fall from the boom. Its a must have if you are going to do bucket work. If I went to a job and my worker wasn't wearing the harness, I'd fire him on the spot and let him take the bus or a cab home.

Not a bad looking rig, the only thing I would caution you on due to being new at the "bucket thing" & those who you`ll no doubt hire.... put the forestry cage package on the front ( can be made easily), why? Ill gaurantee you or the new hire will find that windshield or a mirror without trying to hard!

good luck!

LXT...............

Thanks lxt,
I do have a cage for it. The unit was swapped onto the Kodiak truck recently and I just need to get the cage mounted. I can see where the cab is all scratched up from the few jobs it's done without a cage on it...so I agree, it needs to be put on.

Ok, I plan to look for a local aerial company to inspect the boom components, find all the lube points with me, etc.

I'll get a safety lanyard and make a 'training session' for any employees who might use the truck.

I'll practice and practice. Seems like I might have to move the truck around somewhat to get to all the places I'll need to go in a tree?

Also, I have no idea how to get down or fold up the boom if I have a hyd. failure. Can anyone tell me common methods of doing this? What types of failures can cause a collapse of the boom, and which ones will just leave me stuck in the air, and then what do I do, etc?
thanks!

Make sure your groundies know how to do an aerial rescue (switch the lower override control, lower the boom to the ground and how to tilt the bucket to get the operator out).

I know some operators who carry a rope with them in the bottom of the bucket, so they can rappel out of the bucket if they are stuck up in the air.

Make sure your groundies know how to do an aerial rescue (switch the lower override control, lower the boom to the ground and how to tilt the bucket to get the operator out).

I know some operators who carry a rope with them in the bottom of the bucket, so they can rappel out of the bucket if they are stuck up in the air.

You should ALWAYS carry a rope and recue figure 8 in the bucket (or hanging from a D) and never work alone.

Once a week go through complete range of motion with the boom and hold at various positions - 90 deg, 45, 25, etc. and completely flat, basically every working postion.

Some small leaks will allow the bucket to slowly drift down...not fun (the first guy I ever worked for had a leak like this for 3 years, you would constantly have to raise the bucket in the middle of making a cut because it would slowly lower!!) Any serious leak and the holding valves will keep the boom in place and allow you to repel down if the controls below are not working.

I've never heard of a bucket just dropping to the ground, anyone else?

Anyway here's a couple links I found a few years ago.

http://www.csctc.org/HSSEInterimDir...n.OperationalRequirementsForBucketTrucks2.pdf

www.telcominsgrp.com/education/forms/BUCKET TRUCK SAFETY-Pioneer.doc -

Im not sure on your model but some of the old high rangers had a hand pump (manual) beside the pistol grip, also if im not mistaken there is an air line to the pistol grip or a vacuum line not sure what it is but if it is old replace it, this works the whole pistol grip hyd configurations and if its clogged, cracked, dry rotted etc... it wont work right!

You might want to send to Davey Tree & see if their mechanics division has manuals or literature that you could purchase, Davey was big into the high ranger buckets.....sure they could help!!

LXT...............

Back