Problems with a older Bucket truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumbarky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my city bought a older Bucket truck and the bucket system shows to be made by Baker. It's a model 5065. Anyway the problem is that the controls in the bucket are hydraulically connected to the main control on the tower. And it's seems that the hydraulic pilot in the bucket is hung and causing the control in the tower to act up. For instance the boom swivel is constantly turning right. I switched the small hoses at the bucket control and now it just turns the opposite direction. When you disconnect the hydraulics at the bucket control the tower controls operate the unit normally. Here is a picture of the tag on the bucket control. I wasn't thinking or I would have gotten more pics of the entire unit before coming home. I've never seen controls like this before, most are electric over hydraulic. This unit is hydraulic to hydraulic.

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_144529.jpg
    IMG_20211026_144529.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
It should still be inspected and certified by a licensed shop before it is put in service. Obviously that hasn't been done. This is a municipality?
Ingsoc going to turn in the municipality for not having all work done by certified and licensed inspectors?

But you have to admit the new rules and regulations are so very efficient. Now we often take ~10 times as long and 20 times more adjusted funds to repair roads that were built by the unlicensed. While still getting crap work.

Assuming of course that actual construction is being done. 99% of the time there are only barriers, signs and threats. No construction at all.

But hey, I found a working drinking fountain at a rest area in a blue state yesterday. Still a bit shell shocked 'bout that. Of course the chiller had been turned off so soda sales wouldn't suffer too much. Been about 20,000 interstate miles since I can recall finding a working drinking fountain in a blue state. Blue states have a real hard time keeping rest areas open. They are also growing rarer in the red states of course.

Well no worries, I have a contact next city south that gave me the number to highline equipment service company. It was just a stuck valve in the pilot. Figured it out, good news.
Bad news is if anything serious goes wrongs with this platform, the company that built it is no longer around for parts.

Ingsoc going to turn in the municipality for not having all work done by certified and licensed inspectors?

But you have to admit the new rules and regulations are so very efficient. Now we often take ~10 times as long and 20 times more adjusted funds to repair roads that were built by the unlicensed. While still getting crap work.

Assuming of course that actual construction is being done. 99% of the time there are only barriers, signs and threats. No construction at all.

But hey, I found a working drinking fountain at a rest area in a blue state yesterday. Still a bit shell shocked 'bout that. Of course the chiller had been turned off so soda sales wouldn't suffer too much. Been about 20,000 interstate miles since I can recall finding a working drinking fountain in a blue state. Blue states have a real hard time keeping rest areas open. They are also growing rarer in the red states of course.
I'm not too worried about "big brother" or "Karen" thinks. I have a job to do and I get it done. Just thought someone might have heard of that company before. It's made like a older Teledyne unit. It's a good system just different. The cylinder checks are all the same.

I'm not too worried about "big brother" or "Karen" thinks. I have a job to do and I get it done. Just thought someone might have heard of that company before. It's made like a older Teledyne unit. It's a good system just different. The cylinder checks are all the same.
Nobody worries until they come a knockin'.

Most of that old stuff like he's talking about should have been junked a long time ago. No reputable professional is going to put his ass on the line by certifying that old unit.
Because they can always and easily raise home owner taxes and buy a shiny new truck? Even though they got by without one until now?

Because they can always and easily raise home owner taxes and buy a shiny new truck? Even though they got by without one until now?
Or... the boom fails because it hasn't been properly maintained or inspected, homeowner taxes go up to cover the 10 million dollar settlement with the family of the deceased worker, and all of our workers comp and liability premiums go up again...

Or... the boom fails because it hasn't been properly maintained or inspected, homeowner taxes go up to cover the 10 million dollar settlement with the family of the deceased worker, and all of our workers comp and liability premiums go up again...
Always respond with fear mongering. Always. If that card fails - play the terrorism card. Ingsoc 101.

I have a '99 bucket truck. It isn't difficult to tighten bolts.

I have a buddy with a '48 piper cub, and we do all the maintenance on it... and he has it inspected annually...
OSHA gives a bucket unit a 10 year service life. Most manufacturers won’t have parts or sell them if the unit is over 20 years old. But there are thousands of old units out there working every day. If maintenance was kept up they’re usually in good shape at auction. But most individuals don’t know the maintenance procedures or follow them from the shop manual. Be careful with it. Load test it at 1 1/2 times its rated load. Buckets must pass a stability test. 5 degree slope with outriggers down fully extended straight out from the truck on the down slope side with 1 1/2 times it weight on it. Didn’t mean to go overboard on this but I worked for a utility for 30 years as a fleet bucket technician

Latest posts

Back