Looking for Field Guide Books for Identifying Trees by their bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S Tebo

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
All,
I live in Maryland and have been searching for a good quality (paper preferred over electronic) Field Guide book for specifically Identifying Trees by their bark. Ideally, basically a book with lots of visual references/ photos etc. Winter identification of young Oak vs Poplar for example can be tricky at times and most of the books I have found have little or no info for trees native to the NE or Mid-Atlantic region. Or they are just descriptive (and even poor at that too at times). I have looked for good leads and resource online at Dept of Forestry, Dept of agriculture,US Forrest Service, DNR, NOFMA & googled etc but not much luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees "Eastern Region" should be able to get at any lage book store.It shows bark, needles or leaves. Has good descriptions and is compact.

Thank You!

The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees "Eastern Region" should be able to get at any lage book store.It shows bark, needles or leaves. Has good descriptions and is compact.

Awesome- thanks very much or the info. Scott

Sibley's Guide to Trees is another pretty good one. Also, I think the Wildlife Federation put a out a guide not that long ago.

Don't forget to look up. You should be able to see twig & bud differences to help distinguish trees with similar bark characteristics.

Back