Looking for Oak Log Delivery in SE Wisconsin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan J

Reaction score
For the past 7 or so years, my dad and I have had to purchase 8 foot oak logs to keep up with our firewood useage. We have a wood gasification boiler, which is the primary source of heat in the winter (our natural gas bill will be lower in winter than in summer). We have gotten 14 cords delivered each year by a company out of Oshkosh, WI, but the waiting list is becoming insane and we like to stay ahead of the game to give the firewood ample time to dry. We cut, split, and stack it all, then sell enough firewood to make what we keep for ourselves "free". Does anybody know of a place to contact to get such a delivery? I've found another company in Peshtigo, but they will only deliver 100 miles, and I'm 150 away. Location is SE Wisconsin, south of West Bend. Any help and information is greatly appreciated!

I modified your thread title to hopefully get you some more hits. There are several folks from WI on the site so perhaps someone can help you.

I have only seen one ad for log load OAK at $1500/per- to me that's insane, on top of that no mention of amount of load in ad. or diameters. Might want to spread your species selection out some. Between the oil field work and a ramping up of the paper mills lately, its been tough to get reasonable prices let a lone any deliveries down here for single loads.

SVK, thanks for the help.

Muddstopper, I would tend to agree. Oshkosh is about 75 miles from my house. The delivery has always been the truck with about 8 cords on it, and a pup trailer with about 6. Always between 14 and 15 cords, pure oak, 8 feet long. I don't know where they get it from to begin with either. Can't be a cheap run with fuel, and they only charge $100 per cord, so one trip to my house would get them $1400.

Blades, thanks for letting me know that. There's a small tree cutting business down the road from me (they're the ones that connected me with the Oshkosh company) and they heat everything with wood, and can't find enough. Oak is our primary source in the middle of winter. Towards the spring and right away in the fall we use elm from wooded areas near my house. I would estimate that we go through 2 cords of oak and 1.5 of elm every year. Do you have any recommendations on other wood to try that would be more available? Given that we use a gasification boiler, we try to find wood that will provide a long burn time to charge the reserve tank and maximize efficiency.

As an update... not 30 minutes after I posted that^ did my dad email me to let me know that the delivery is coming tomorrow. I think for the future we will plan on both of us calling and getting on the waiting list to that one of us is always on it. Hopefully that means that even if they get really backed up, we get at least one delivery per year.

Other good dense species- Hickory, Beech, Locust( Black or Honey), Rock/Sugar maple, Hornbeam(Blue Beech) or Hop Hornbeam ( Ironwood) These are fairly common around southern Wi. All of these give a long coal stage burn and like the Oaks take 2-3 years to dry out. Might get lucky with a Rock Elm once in a blue moon. A fair number of people get snooty on the Locusts, that's ok more for me.

I've been looking for a log length load of any hardwood, delivered to Milwaukee area for several years now without luck. It would be nice to get a few years ahead on firewood. Luckily, this year there seems to be plenty of scrounge in the area.

Dave

Back