Looking for Soft Dutchman against the Lean Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't hate the pay from them but sure hate where they grow and how they grow, we're always wishing it was a fir or a cedar patch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Fir is so forgiving! Those long, strong fibers are the best.

Here's a hickory of some sort that I cut inside the fence following an ice storm. That damn thing wouldn't go over! I had 4 wedges stacked and the kerf was like 3 inches tall and the hinge a half an inch or less and the fibers just kept holding on, and on and on... finally, when it went over, it was like slow motion. I realized then why the east coast guys so often gut the hearts. That woulda made this guy way easier to tip.

Photo345.jpg

Then there's this guy -- he's a little fir, maybe 20" on the butt, but I turned him just over 180 degrees.

SmartZilla_000718_zpsed9e9168.jpg

I gotta start taking pictures of my work again. I have gotten out of the habit.

Um... Logger here...
Takes a long time to get something like that on the computer.
But, I can sure run my mouth as well as my saw.:laugh:
Does that mean you've cut off both your opposing thumbs in a logging accident & can't hold a pen or pencil anymore, or was it was a really big accident & you can now only touch type with a stick in your mouth which has a rubber ball on the end of it? If any of the above you're obviously excused.
Thanski

Does that mean you've cut off both your opposing thumbs in a logging accident & can't hold a pen or pencil anymore, or was it was a really big accident & you can now only touch type with a stick in your mouth which has a rubber ball on the end of it? If any of the above you're obviously excused.
Thanski

You ate a lot of Lead based paint as a child, didn't you?

Not as much as you roosters it seems! I can still draw!
Thankinski

They didn't have lead based paint when I was a kid.

I could never draw: I guess I was too busy trying to do things in real life. [emoji6]

They didn't have lead based paint when I was a kid.

I could never draw: I guess I was too busy trying to do things in real life. [emoji6]
Same here, it must have been on the asbestos sheets in the old house we used to eat!
They used to round us up & make sure we went to school here for at least 10 years, before sending the hard cases to prison!
Transki

Here you go
Now go and try it like the rest of us have.

It's funny how this chap will show a leaning tree with a plumb bob but somehow never does it when doing a ultra soft Dutchman falling 180 to the lean, with that tree the centre of gravity had to be past the line of hinge wood in the direction of the fall, (it only has to millimetres & not necessarily on the stump either ) for it to fall in that direction, nothing on this earth can defy gravity alone & go uphill against gravity. No wonder you roosters are fluffing up your feathers having trouble drawing it! It's just not possible.
Transinski

Ya keep asking for a drawing, but the deal is taint none of us cartoonists, a pencil sketch doesn't show the movement, we can draw lines on a circle until your fingers bleed, but it doesn't show the movement. It truly is something you're just going to have to try. It's not particularly any more dangerous then falling any other tree, yer just using gravity to steer it a little, but since yer a stubborn **** with blinders on yer probably never going to try it anyway. Or maybe yer just a scaredy cat?

Ya keep asking for a drawing, but the deal is taint none of us cartoonists, a pencil sketch doesn't show the movement, we can draw lines on a circle until your fingers bleed, but it doesn't show the movement. It truly is something you're just going to have to try. It's not particularly any more dangerous then falling any other tree, yer just using gravity to steer it a little, but since yer a stubborn **** with blinders on yer probably never going to try it anyway. Or maybe yer just a scaredy cat?
Almost reminds me of an engineer if they can't see how it can happen unless it's drawn for them.

What's the difference between a hard and soft Dutch?
Hard Dutchman is a single cut that will stall out the motion, where as a soft always the butt to rotate as the relief cuts in the face cut compress.

I think I'm starting to get where you fellows are getting mixed up, in reality a fairly perpendicular tree with a minute lean ( C of G on the stump) could be sent nearly 90' either way from the lean, that's a falling range of nearly 180', but still at least 90' anywhere near going against the lean.
Tanks

Almost reminds me of an engineer if they can't see how it can happen unless it's drawn for them.

It's funny how an engineer could calculate the trajectory of lunar rocket with astounding accuracy & show the shift of C of G at any point in its trajectory traveling past the moon or earth! its just physics & gravity & fully explainable visually or mathematically.
Thanski

It's funny how an engineer could calculate the trajectory of lunar rocket with astounding accuracy & show the shift of C of G at any point in its trajectory traveling past the moon or earth! its just physics & gravity & fully explainable visually or mathematically.
Thanski
Exactly we're just using gravity to help us, yes they may not be a full 180 degrees back but anything to help from wedging is a good thing in my book.

Another point is you keep implying it's always used but it's just a tool to make our lives easier if you don't get how it works that's fine. Now if you really have something special or on a line that's 180 and set back good I'm willing to bet you're going to jack it or beat your guts out correct?

Exactly we're just using gravity to help us, yes they may not be a full 180 degrees back but anything to help from wedging is a good thing in my book.

A tree cannot fall uphill (so to speak) unassisted against the gravity of its lean, that's why we use wedges or other mechanical means.
Fanks

Another point is you keep implying it's always used but it's just a tool to make our lives easier if you don't get how it works that's fine. Now if you really have something special or on a line that's 180 and set back good I'm willing to bet you're going to jack it or beat your guts out correct?

I'm not implying how often or where it's used, just that it's an impossibility that a tree can fall uphill ( so to speak) against the gravity of its lean with just cutting.
If a tree looks like it's leaning in a direction but actually falls the other way, just means the C of G was never where it was assumed to be & gravity always will pull the tree in the direction that the C of G actually was. A pool ball will always run downhill to the lowest side of a table, it can never run to the high side as gravity will never allow it. The table doesn't touch the face of the under C of G axis of the ball so it has tiny moment of inertia propelling it, this is the same principle as a falling tree. Anywhere between the C of G & the stump of the tree is uphill in the eyes of gravity with hinge allowing a certain amount of movement along the line between the 2. The more distance between the 2 dictates how much direction the tree can deviate off that line before the hinge tears out & has no influence anymore.
Thansk

Back