looking for some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gage52

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have a teco boom, everything work fine from the lower controls. but nothing work from the upper controls(pistol). if someone could point me in the direction i should be looking or anything that would be great. does anyone know of a company that services these in IL that would be great.thanks

couple checks:
have someone hold the palm button on the bottom controls, or tape it in, and try to work the boom with the upper pistol.
If that works, you move to the top.
on the pistol the squeezeing trigger pushes air to activate an electric switch. If that air line has water in it it will work fine, 'till it freezes. then you're shut down.
second is that the air line itself may be broken/split, not pushing the pressure to the switch, located on the pylon, you have to raise the lower boom to access it.
take the screws out of the pistol top cover plate, disconnect the air line at the connection, and sqeeze the trigger. you should feel air push out. if not, change the switch (unit) between the trigger and air line (forget the name). if theres air pressure, release the trigger (important) and connect the line back up. raise the lower boom, on the drivers side (inside) the pylon theres a cylinder that the air line runs into, and red or green wires run out of. disconnect that, and see if you get air pressure out of the line squeezing the trigger now. if not, a: line broken, or B: line blocked. if you get air, apply a slight amount of air pressure into the cylinder (switches) air connection. truck should rev up, and boom work by upper control. if so, fix the air line. if not, replace that air/electric cylinder/switch after insuring the wires comming from that switch going to the palm switch aren't open. (check for continuity)
OR, palm switch. it has 2 red and 2 green wires on it.red/green together at top connection, and r+g at the bottom. make sure these are connected. sometimes one will back out, and you get no lower/ or upper control depending on wire.
should take care of it.
-Ralph

o.k. i did get the bucket to move from the upper control, but i have to turn the pistol to the left slightly then pull up to get it to move.? i think i might have air in the lines. how and where do i bleed the lines on this? thanks

gage, teco saturn and gemini are self bleeding systems, and the controls are full pressure lines same as the hoist lines. no bleeding necessary unless you replaced a lift cylinder. Teco's are open center systems, and run fluid through all the lines continuously no matter the valve position. return fluid not under pump pressure directly is dumped into the top of the tank, and fluid from the tank going to the pump is taken from the bottom of the tank, thusly all air is allowed to stay at the top of the tank, while pure fluid is pulled from the bottom to power the system.
first thing is you need to say what you fixed to get the system working agin.
sounds like from your description, that the pistol may need calibrated/adjusted. thats under the pistol, the rods from the pistol to the valves have a turnbuckle in them, with locknuts.
I could also say that the air plunger (hooked to the trigger, I remembered the name) may be weak. a drop or 2 of ATF in it reconditions the rubber seals, and will help, gives you a few weeks to find and receive the plunger if needed.
It's a habit to turn the pistol slightly when sqeezing the trigger hard (by virtue of your forearm muscles, when gripping and squeezing an object, your wrist flexes/rotates), you see, so you may not be squeezing hard enough to get the pressure needed to activate the air over elec switch on the pylon. that points to a weak bladder in the plunger, or the plunger is out of adjustment, and needs moved closer to the trigger to increase the stroke, and air pressure. or the lines are still partially blocked.
could be a couple of things, without knowing what you did/found....
-Ralph

Last edited:
thanks for the direction. i'm going to work on it tomorrow, i'll let you guys know what i do and how it goes. is there a website or a place i can find replacement parts? or a manual would be nice too.thanks again for the help

figured it out. the person i purchased the truck from had the pressure line crossed with one of the turn table lines at the platform control. switch those and adjusted the pressure relief valve, now its working like a million bucks. thanks for alll the help

So I guess you had some hints from the previous owner, or did you just figure it out by tracing the lines? Glad you fixed it. I have not one but TWO manuals including parts lists and breakdowns, service descriptions and procedures, etc. etc. and I still take mine to a place that specializes in hydraulics. You're a braver man than I...
:blob2:

gage52 said:
figured it out. now its working like a million bucks. thanks for alll the help

Glad to hear it!
Like the skwerl said, sometimes you have to know when you're in over your head, but the minor stuff can save you a lot of downtime and repair shop expense.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
Glad to hear it!
Like the skwerl said, sometimes you have to know when you're in over your head, but the minor stuff can save you a lot of downtime and repair shop expense.
-Ralph
just a heads up. when i spoke to united they told me that the vangaurd series of the teco booms are not self bleeding. you have to bleed them at the lower controls(which is a pain to do)

Latest posts

Back