Looking for the best Trimming Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister Twister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to get a saw just for trimming branches after felling trees. What is the lightest durable saw? I was thinking MS 170 what do you guys think? ( No top handle saws.)

:chainsaw:

MS180, just as small as the 170 but more power. Depends on the size branches you will be cutting, some use 440s and 460s to limb with.:D I like a 50cc for limbing myself, 026.

I just got a little PS-34, it's a good little saw, but it's more for the homeowner...I'm going to take it out and trim some little stuff with it tonight, I ordered it for a demo.

I would personally take a look towards the PS-420, since you've already got a 5100, might as well stick with them! I think you'd really like it, very light, quick revving 14 or 16" bar. That's my .02!

+1, We ran Don's 420 at the GTG and it was a nice little saw.

Personally, I would look at a Shindawia 377. It's a great little saw for trimming...:clap:

I guess I should have specified I am just a firewood cutter. 50cc is my larger saws I want a small saw that is still durable. I do a lot of limbing for the snowmobile club also. Walking long distances and cutting small limbs and trees so the lighter the better....

MS180, just as small as the 170 but more power. Depends on the size branches you will be cutting, some use 440s and 460s to limb with.:D I like a 50cc for limbing myself, 026.

Dry weight* 9.5 lbs (4.9 kg)

Displacement 2.4 cu. in (38.9 cc)
Output 2.5 hp (1.9 kW)
Fuel tank capacity 15.5 oz (430 ml)
Operating Range 7,000-11,000 rpm
Oil tank capacity 8.5 oz (250 ml)
Bar length 16 in (40 cm)

Fuel 50:1 ratio Gasoline/mixing oil

All Shindawia's are considered PRO saws too....

Red will appreciate this:

I recommend the Echo CS-346. 33cc, will cut up to 10 inches pretty comfortably, more if you don't mind waiting a while, it's cheap and it only weighs 7.5lbs. All Echos come with a 5 year consumer warranty and are considered "pro" quality.

**edit**
And if you don't need a new saw, I'd sell you my Craftsman (Poulan 2250), 36cc 12" bar, it weighs about 10lbs (powerhead only), starts easy, runs great and it'll burry the 12" bar and not really bog down. And I'm getting an Echo 302S soon, if you're interested I may consider selling it once I fix it up.

Last edited:

Yup. I frequently wonder what the appeal of the 170 is when I see it sitting next to a 180. The 180 is a right snappy little saw in the little stuff.

How much do you really want to spend, and how bad to you have CAD?

You could get the MS200, rear handled version of the 200t, and I doubt anything in that class will touch it!

Echos are fine on a budget, just handle them before hand, a LOT.

Been hearing good things about the little Dolmars.

Love the Shinnies, built like tanks!! A bit pricey and a bit heavy, but run forever!

Look around, handle them, that will mean more than anything. You will have to lug it aroud, not us!

How tall are you? reaching down for branches with a short-arse saw does my back in. I'm wondering if i can get a 16" bar for my little Partner thing, just to get the reach.

Red will appreciate this:

I recommend the Echo CS-346. 33cc, will cut up to 10 inches pretty comfortably, more if you don't mind waiting a while, it's cheap and it only weighs 7.5lbs. All Echos come with a 5 year consumer warranty and are considered "pro" quality.

**edit**
And if you don't need a new saw, I'd sell you my Craftsman (Poulan 2250), 36cc 12" bar, it weighs about 10lbs (powerhead only), starts easy, runs great and it'll burry the 12" bar and not really bog down. And I'm getting an Echo 302S soon, if you're interested I may consider selling it once I fix it up.

You need to change your name, that post was not cool!

LOL, just ribbing ya!

I have a echo 346 that could go for cheap if anyone wants it.:D

Latest posts

Back