Looking for the Perfect Trees :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catsquatch

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

Im a 50 year old retired graphic artist who loves to garden.
Im retired at 50 because I have had 4 heart attacks and can no longer take the stresses of working.
Unfortunately, I can no longer take the stresses of gardening either, so I have designed a mostly work free garden for my front and back yards and I am looking for the perfect trees.

I know I want a Noble Fir and a Grand Fir, but am unable to find a nursery that sells single trees, they sell only in quantity for the Christmas Tree trade, so my first question is, where can I get only one Grand Fir tree, and just one Noble Fir tree?

My second question pertains to a tree my husband and I see while driving sometimes.
It is a type of fir or pine, slightly blueish with medium needles, and the branches weep causing it to look like a Dr. Suess tree. We think it is a beautiful tree, and would like one for our garden, but we cant find out what kind of tree it is. Does anyone recognize this tree from my description?

I am also looking for scented flowering evergreen trees with neat root habits.
The city tree on the city strip in front of my house has very bad root habits, and has been tearing up the gutter, sidewalk, and driveway.
They will not allow me to take it out because it is a habitat for birds.
Because of this I do not want to plant any more trees with nasty root systems that hug the surface, rather I am looking for trees that have mostly single tap roots.
Are there such trees, or am I dreaming a real nice dream?

We are also looking for some dwarf fruit trees, specifically a semi sweet lemon, a semi tart orange, a flavorful tangerine, an almond, a black cherry, and a black plum.
If we still have enough room we will also be looking for apricot, peach, nectarine and green apple.
In the past, dwarf trees that we have purchased have proven to have fruit that is too dry, too sweet, or too something else.
Does anyone know what types of dwarf fruit trees are good for us?

I listed the questions so you can just copy it and fill in the blanks :)

Grand Fir Tree -
Noble Fir Tree -
Dr. Seuss Tree -
Scented Flowering Evergreen Trees -
Dwarf Fruit Trees -

Thank you all for your help, I know this is a lot of questions right off the bat, Ive been planning this garden for 5 years ;D

dr. seuss sounds like cedrus deodara?

roots turn nasty when soil is nasty--$1 tree in $1000 hole is the way to go.

look first to your county extension; i'd be an idiot to advise you from NC.

Wait, I just did...:buttkick:

retired at 50; jeez i won't be able to afford retiring at 90. :(

I will check out the Cedrus Deodara and see if thats the one, thank you so much, it has been impossible to find out what it is :)

How do you make a 1000 dollar hole?
I had thought of digging a 5 foot deep hole and setting in a concrete ring to force the roots to start spreading farther underground, is this a feasable idea?

The only reason I was able to retire is my wonderful husband. He is a geologist and makes decent money, and takes care of me very well. We are not rich, but we are comfortable.

Latest posts

Back