Looking for wood to turn around Seattle WA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood turner

Reaction score
Hello - I'm new to the site, hope it's OK to post this kind of thing...

I'm a wood turner eager for some good wood to turn - I live in Newcastle WA, have a truck and trailer and am hope to find some local arborists who can help supply me with wood for turning. I'll come out with a partner for big hauls, we're clean cut professional looking so we won't scare your clients. And having good wood go to art rather than the fireplace can't be a bad thing.

My partner and I are both full time turners so we're flexible and ready for the right opportunities when they come along.

Wood I would be most interested in include:

Madrone
Birch
Oak
Large Fir (38" or better)
Honey Locust
Black Locust
Large Fruit wood (apple, pear, cherry etc)
Walnut
Big Monkey Puzzle
Any kind of burls
Laburnum (golden chain tree?)
Ash
Elm
Birch
Big Holly

Any other suggestions would be great - such as is there a bone yard where green wood is dumped from jobs that we could possibly access? We have a full compliment of saws, dollys and gear etc.

Many thanks
Bill
Newcastle WA

There are a number of chunks of 15" wild cherry and a couple of 42+ inch cottonwood stubs and big crotches (B. cottonwood a true junk wood?) in my firewood pile - I'm just down the road in Renton Highlands if you want to take a look, e-mail me for address. Have a 6 ft dia fir stump and a number of smaller stumps in the back that still have solid cores from 1917 logging operation (cut one off a few years back and it still had the first 400 years inside solid) - you cut?

Edit PS: people are using alder for kitchen cabinets, is cottonwood next?

Back