Looking to plant a tree; unsure of what kind to plant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacinth

Reaction score
I'm looking to plant a tree in my front yard. I really wanted a Weeping Willow, but I really don't think it is an ideal spot for that type of tree. I know my husband doesn't want a tree that would be messy (leaves in the fall are ok) and neither of us are really big on evergreens.

Can anyone suggest anything? Pictures (or links to pictures) of said suggestions are appriciated.

I've attached two pictures - This is where I would like to plant it.

Thanks! :)

Edit: I thought it might be helpful to say 'where' I'm at - Western Pennsylvania.

Avoid fast growing trees, they tend to be short lived, messy and brittle. Also avoid trees that are over planted or that represent a high percentage of naturally occurring trees in your forests, like Honeylocust, Norway Maple, Ash, or Elm. Don't plant trees that have huge disease problems like Ash, Oak, or American Elm.
As Elmore pointed out, pick a tree that has enough room to support it's mature size. Be sure to look up, are there wires?
The picture looks like there' plenty of room for a nice sized tree.
Look into a Ginko, Kentucky Coffee Tree, Hackberry, Beech, Sugar Maple, Dawn Redwood, or Zelkova.
Make a list of trees, then look at the nursery stock available. Find a tree with good structure, which means it has one central leader and branches spaced well on it. When you plant it, make sure the root flare is clearly visible at the soil level. In other words don't plant it too deep! And don't let the salesman talk you into one of the trees I warned you about.
I hope that helps.

Mike Maas said:
Avoid fast growing trees, they tend to be short lived, .
Is the road toward the south? If so, you could plant a long-lived tree like on Mike's list toward the road, and a short-lived tree like paulownia or mimosa to the north of it. That way you'll enjoy it for ten years or so while the slow tree gets established, and you remove it then.

Contact your extension agent for a list. visit a local public garden. check the link below for basic info on selection and planting etc.

Thanks for all the help so far. I still haven't decided.

There are no wires above head - the wires are across the street and come into my house from the other side of the house.

The tree could probably become fairly large and fit in the yard - probably about 20 to 25 feet across (total, with trunk in the middle) without going into my neighbor's yard.

The road is to the north of the house.

It looks like there was a tree there a long time ago (we only moved here a year ago), but the stump is gone. If any remaining root system is still there, will it effect my new tree?

Now, another thing I want to mention is that in my back yard we have had drainage problems (not this summer - we've hardly had any rain at all). The ground can't absorb all the water and it gets squishy (and on some occasions we get water into our basement). We have taken measures to stop the water from getting into the house, however I was wondering if it would effect the tree at all. If you look in the 1st picture, there is a bush in yard - the 'squishy-ness' starts behind the bush and goes back. Is there a tree that could possibly help to alleviate the problem, but still live through a dry summer? Could it possibly rot the roots if we had a particularly wet season?

Thanks again for all the help.

Edit: I though of something else to ask - I have a dog and a cat. I would like for the tree to not be posionious if they would decide to munch on the twigs, leaves, or anything else that would fall off of it.

Last edited:
Google sycamore, Platanus occidentalis, tolerant of wide moisture range. Sheds stuff, which is not a big problem if you keep a wide natural area.

Jacinth, Sycamore will result in a mess. Lots of litter, aggressive roots and a distinctive stink. Sycamores are beautiful trees out in the wild or somewhere in the south 40 of a large estate. You indicate a width of about 25'...I think a Pond Cypress, 15' to 20' wide, might fit...a fastigiate or columnar Ginkgo certainly will, something like Ginkgo biloba 'Sentry'. 'Magyar' is an upright branching cultivar and therefore may end up narrower than such cultivars as 'Autumn Gold' which is estimated to grow 45' in height by 35' wide. 'Autumn Gold' at that size may be alright but likely will be larger than estimated specs after the second hundred years. :)

I would like to offer an opinion. I thought the recommendation of a Ginko a bit earlier was terrific. Other good options would be Sugar Maple or, I love the Autumn Purple White Ash. I would think these would all do quite well there and are quite disease resistant with the exception of the maple being succeptible to verticillium wilt (I don't know how prevalent that disease is there). I certainly agree with what the Elmore and treeseer have said. I would add that even with selecting the right tree for the location, much care should be given after the big job is done. A lot of young trees have problems with borers which tend to invade when the tree is under stress from other (non-biotic) issues ex. heat, drought.

One more thing, yes the excessive moisture for extended periods of time can and will cause root rot. Phytophthora and others can be damaging and in most cases fatal. Don't let this scare you. However, most trees that can tolerate the moist soil are, generally speaking, not trees you would want in your front yard.

I though of something else to ask - I have a dog and a cat. I would like for the tree to not be posionious if they would decide to munch on the twigs, leaves, or anything else that would fall off of it.

Kentucky coffeetree is reputed to be poisonous. (gymnocladus dioecios ) I do not know if this reputation is warranted or not.

Latest posts

Back