Looking to speak to Loggers that have knowledge and experience with lightweight guide bars!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovemarketresearch

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I work for The Martec Group, a global research and consulting firm based in Detroit, and we are doing some research in the chainsaw guide bar market, specifically with lightweight guide bars.

We are looking to get a better understanding of key brand perceptions and unmet needs regarding guide bars. If you use lightweight guide bars for your chainsaws on a regular basis, please respond with your interest. We would be able to compensate you for a ~30 minute phone or zoom call.

Hi everyone! I work for The Martec Group, a global research and consulting firm based in Detroit, and we are doing some research in the chainsaw guide bar market, specifically with lightweight guide bars.

We are looking to get a better understanding of key brand perceptions and unmet needs regarding guide bars. If you use lightweight guide bars for your chainsaws on a regular basis, please respond with your interest. We would be able to compensate you for a ~30 minute phone or zoom call.
yer gonna have a tough time competing with the stihl light bars, most of the others are heavy in comparison, and have design flaws that lead to failures.
But I'm all for advancement in new ideas.

yer gonna have a tough time competing with the stihl light bars, most of the others are heavy in comparison, and have design flaws that lead to failures.
But I'm all for advancement in new ideas.
Good to know - do you feel that Stihl is leading in the market? Are you interested in a quick call with us to discuss your insights?

not really, unless ya'll are on to some new materials, i'm not aware of.

to put it into perspective, there is an adapter available to put Stihl bars on other branded saws, and they make a bunch of them.

to be absolutely fair, i will try anything, but i'll be brutally honest too. if its heavier then a stihl, dont bother, if its softer/less durable dont bother, if the tolerances are looser, dont bother, there are current production and cheaper bars available already that fill those catagories

not really, unless ya'll are on to some new materials, i'm not aware of.

to put it into perspective, there is an adapter available to put Stihl bars on other branded saws, and they make a bunch of them.

to be absolutely fair, i will try anything, but i'll be brutally honest too. if its heavier then a stihl, dont bother, if its softer/less durable dont bother, if the tolerances are looser, dont bother, there are current production and cheaper bars available already that fill those catagories
Well stated. But based on the OP's comments, I don't think they've actually produced anything yet, but are considering trying to enter the market?

I think OP is collecting research either to try and sell or already contracted on behalf of bar manufacturers.
They aren't in the market themselves.
Correct! We are just trying to learn more about the guide bar market and understand brand preferences among common users. If anyone feels they can speak on these subjects feel free to let me know and we can set up a meeting

Just my 2 cents Stihl light weight bars for the money pretty hard to beat. Come new into the market competing with other brands at a good price point my opinion to gain market share they would have the durability and price of Stihl light weight bars. I haven't tried some of the present manufactured lightweight bars mainly because of price and availability. The rep. Stihl has on the lightweight bar market is why I bought my 1st bars. I did do review research on lightweight bars before I bought that 1st bar. After using that bar I primary don't buy steel bars anymore all Stihl lightweight bars, as I switch-out bars... I buy lightweight Stihl bars. Oregon, Husky, Cannon etc... make good bars but because of Stihl rep. I haven't tried thou bars because the reviews aren't as good back when I 1st started researching lightweight bars. In the PNW last year there has been a shortage of lightweight bar but I'm starting to see more inventory in the two shops I frequent, but again I've drove 50 miles to get Stihl lightweight bar during the shortage. During the shortage because I couldn't find a Stihl bars, I looked at other brands but due to price it wasn't worth the money for me to try them... so I waited until I could find a Stihl bar. You have tough time getting a guy like me to change now I'm sold on Stihl bars. When I have to start changing out my Husky bars I'm going buy adapters and go with Stihl. I have like 11 saws... lightweight bars are a game changer for me. I'm willing to spend the extra cost for a lightweight bar but not more to get less quality for price point to change to the other brands is my opinion.

For a minute there Sugi Hara were just absolutely dirt cheap compared to any other bar out there, lightweight or no, and were the absolute value king. They're still great bars but the Stihl lightweights are enough lighter and Sugi prices have come up enough that Stihl is the uncontested best in business today.

No bar meetings for me, dui you can't afford it lol.

Dealer told me LW .325 not available to fit 034. True? I thoight that odd.

No bar meetings for me, dui you can't afford it lol.

Dealer told me LW .325 not available to fit 034. True? I thoight that odd.
Pretty sure they have different mounts, mostly for a reason, .325 is usually for the smaller bars on smaller saws, an 034 is happy with a 20" but can run a 28" without fuss.
Think of it as putting 13" wheels and low profile tires on a 1/2 ton truck, it looks stupid and the tires won't live to see the weekend

Latest posts

Back